newbee to incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amandac, Jan 9, 2015.

1. amandac

amandac Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    I have ordered my incubator and have a few questions. Can eggs collected over 2-3 days be successfully hatched if not refrigerated and kept at room temperature? Also, any other advice from experienced "hatchers" will be appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

2. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    X2 on the link. that is a great source of info.

The recommendation for setting gathered eggs is 10 days or less (age wise) is the best. Anything over 2 weeks old decreases the hatchability rate. A good share of people only use eggs within a week old. Yes, they should be stored at room temp, unless you have extrememly hot, or cold room temps, and should be turned during storage as you would during incubation.

I recommend using at least two thermometers in the bator, (never rely on one). Remember day one starts 24 hours AFTER eggs are set in the bator. Recommended temps for still air bators are 101-102 degrees. (Despite manufactor instruction.) Reccommended forced air is 99.5 degrees. If hand turning, more is better, but an odd number of times is recommended.

Usually if you have a question, someone on here will give you the info, or at least, their opinion...lol

My biggest piece of advise though, is everyone does it differently. There are very few things that is agreed upon as a majority. One person will tell you something is absolutely taboo, while the next person will swear that's the best way to do it. You have to find what is best for you. What works for you and what you are comfortable doing. A lot of times you only come by this by trial and error. And just about everyone on here has had their share of errors to get to their level of experience. So take people's advice, Listen to the differences and then use your common sense and what is doable for you and do it.

Good luck on your hatches and we are here to give our two cents when you want it... :)

1 person likes this.
  4. amandac

amandac Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Thank you so much! I am a little nervous![​IMG]

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It only gets worse....lol Seriously. It is very stressful and you'll find yourself pulling your hair out, but it is worth it when you see that first pip in your egg and have that fist chick pop out of it's shell. Then it becomes very addicting...lol You have a lot of support here though, so whenit gets too nerve wracking, or your unsure of something you can always ask and get other's opinions on what to do. We have quite a few very experienced members that will share their experiences with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by