Newbee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mgrbrown, Mar 26, 2017.

1. mgrbrown

mgrbrown Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    MOUNT VERNON WA
    Have 10 Bantam-Cochin that are going to go on a day trip to the yard Saturday. Little nervous when they get ready to fully fly how tall t should make my fence [​IMG]glad to be apart of the backward chicken club. Michelle

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Michelle, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock. I don't know the flight ability of that breed so I really can't advise. So breeds are high flyers whereas others, due to body style, are quite ground bound. You can always clip the flight feathers on one wing to keep them from flying up and out. This of course means they are pretty defenseless to predators. The Learning Center is a great resource if you want to do some research: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And you can hey to your local chicken peeps in your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never raised Bantam Cochin but my dual purpose big girls could easily go over a 4' fence, especially when there was something tasty coming up in the garden, lol.

@Teila one of our regular greeters raises bantams, she may be able to answer your question.

Thanks for joining us!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I don't know that it's how high the fence will be for them, as how high it needs to be to keep predators out. If you have a covered run, that will keep birds inside and hopefully marauders OUT.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

While Bantam Cochins are relatively poor fliers, as Diva pointed out, you really should be more concerned about the height required to keep predators out. The ideal fence, regardless of breed, should be six feet, but at a bare minimum it should be five.

6. mgrbrown

Mar 26, 2017
    MOUNT VERNON WA
    I have a enclosed Red Barn Chicken Coop with a attacked enclosed 10 by 12 foot Run with a metal roof that I'm working on. This is all in a section of the yard that is fenced. I want to free range them with a home and small yard to have them closed up tight at night. I live in Mount Vernon, Wa on 5 acers filled with trees, bears, cyottie, you name it we got it. We have hawks and balled eagles. SO I'm scared of the flying predators or the kids getting out. Im putting on each side of the coop a solar predator guard device. I'm putting a 6 foot privacy fence in front by the road, on the other side of the fenced area I have a non manmade pond. Those 2 sides are the bad spots that concern me on them flying when i let them run free. The other 2 sides will just brind the into the large fenced property. My luck out of these 10 kids I got all will be roosters with I lady. I was reading about reflecting items hanging might help with flying predators, Anyone have any thoughts on those solar owls with the eyes that light up and head moves? Michelle

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Michelle [​IMG] Welcome!

As N F C has mentioned, I have bantam Cochins and I joke that they fly like bricks! Having said that, they can jump. If it helps, this is our adjoining fence at the back and the girls have never even attempted to jump it:

[​IMG]

Personally, I think the trick is to make home interesting enough that they have no need to ‘look for greener pastures’ .. this is where my gals are happy hanging out for the majority of the day:

[​IMG]

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. mgrbrown

Mar 26, 2017
    MOUNT VERNON WA
    Here is a pic of them.

9. mgrbrown

Mar 26, 2017
    MOUNT VERNON WA
    [​IMG]

10. mgrbrown