Newbee's 1st time incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], May 10, 2009.

1. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    This is my 1st attempt at hatching, so here goes nothing!!

May 10th 6pm I put baker’s dozen eggs (13) in my Little Giant 9300 still air incubator so I can work thru newbee issues and learning curve before I try to hatch some Maran and Amerucana eggs down the road.

The eggs that I am hatching are from yesterday and today and I stored them in the room that I set up the incubator in.

8 eggs are from my New Hampshire hens and they are with 2 New Hampshire and 2 EE Roosters so I will have to wait and see what comes out.

5 eggs are from my Delaware pullets and I have had them separated with my Cuckoo Maran Rooster which is from the Kelly Cratty line. I sure hope I get lucky and a couple of these to hatch so I can see how they turn out because I plan on hatching more of these in the future if all goes well.

Room temp 70% Humidity 38%----*****

I let the incubator run for 3+ hours and made adjustments and after it maintained setting for 2 hours I put the eggs in.

Incubator starting temp 101% Humidity 46% and will tweak if needed around 8-830pm once it is back to operating temp.

New Hampshire Starting egg weights, #1-2.04oz, #2-2.16oz, #3-1.89oz, #4-1.95oz, #5-2.11oz, #6-2.08oz, #7-2.16oz, #8-1.98oz

Delaware Starting egg weights #1-1.5oz, #2-1.5oz, #3-1.56oz, #4-1.56oz, #5-1.54oz

I have all of them numbered and will weigh them at day18 when I move them into the Hatcher to see if they have lost around 12% of their weight.

PS: I will plan on candling at day 7 and day 18

Fingers Crossed [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    I am a neebie also in that I have only done one hatch, but noticed the red plugs still in the bator. I have been reading that those need to be removed to let fresh air in for the eggs to "breathe" and get fresh oxygen. There was a wonderful L O N G post a few days ago about ventilation and I determined from that lots of people thing ventilation is more important than humidity.

3. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Good catch-Thank You [​IMG] , I went back and re read the instructions and it said ti remove one in the beginning

4. gacountrychick

gacountrychick New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    Newbee. I bought a hovabator and put in 13 eggs on 4/18. This was my first time trying to hatch. I didn't really think I would have any hatchlings-thought my 4-yr old was "adjusting" the temp himself. Well, Friday afternoon it began. I was like a child at Christmas. We wound up with 10 of 13 hatching. I thought that was wonderful for the first time ever. I am so proud.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    gacountrychick

I hope I am as lucky as you were [​IMG] Congrats on your 1st !!

6. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    PS: Come on May 31st and or June 1st [​IMG]

7. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    After 1 week there is life [​IMG] 2 to go fingers crossed [​IMG]

8. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    I have a borrowed hova bator still air - I just put my first hatch in just over 10 hours ago. I hope I'm as lucky as you were gacountychick! Awesome turnout you deserve to be proud. I put in 14 eggs and will be excited if I get 4 to hatch. I have NO idea what I'm doing. I'm just following the instructions that came with the "bator" and reading everything I can here on BYC. But more than anything crossing all my fingers and toes and whatever else I can think of to cross.

Good luck on your first hatch Randy.

9. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I hope you all have good luck with your first hatches!

I have 18 eggs in the bator, due on June 1st. So far I've had one oops--DH accidentally (better have actually been an accident [​IMG] ) flipped the light switch that turns off the power to the plug I was using. It was only off for a short time, maybe half an hour, and it got down to 86 degrees. But it warmed right back up within 15 minutes of flipping the switch back on. That was yesterday.

[​IMG] That it didn't harm them!

All of my eggs have an Easter Egger roo for the father and the hens are either Buff Brahma, Buff Orpington, or Salmon Faverolles. [​IMG] I'm so excited to see what the chicks come out looking like. I hope I get a pullet who lays olive eggs!

10. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    By the sounds of it we all will should have fuzzy butts about the sametime [​IMG]

Good luck,fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by