Newbie 6 chicks Boise

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Doublechick, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Doublechick

Doublechick New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    New to Chickens, I got my chicks from a hatchery on Wed.I was going to get 4 (Hubby said only 4.) My brother's family went along, he said " could you get a chick for us and we would help pay for the expenses?" I was distracted and full of whatever... I said yes, whatever. I wanted 4 Buff Orpingtons or 2 buffs and 2 Astrolorps. They were out of Astrororps and won't have any until May. I picked 2 buffs and my boys talked me into 2 gold sex links. Meanwhile my brothers one chick became 2 and I got my heat lamp the last supply I could think of. I get home and I realize I don't even know what kind he picked out! He doesn't. Thinks it maybe barred rock from the pics in the catalog and the second one a teeny-tiny one might be a bantam. I am a fool. Now my husband says "They aren't THEIR chickens, they don't take care of them and he can buy the eggs if he wants them." Anyway, I don't care I just figure it is like adopting an animal at the zoo. I just hope I can watch for some chickens that are already laying in a few months and "give" the extra eggs to my mom and family. Bah, what goes around comes around.

Several people that heard that I was doing chickens said "you HAVE to check out BackYardChickens including my supply store.
    One suggestion I would add to new "chick" list is to make sure to purchase the heat lamp bulb. Silly me I just said I have heat lamp. I had to go back for bulb.

My family is me my husband my identical twin boys who are in 9th grade. We are shopping or trying to decide what kind of dog/puppy to get for our family. We read and research about it all the time. My neighbor who has a lot of chickens has a hound and does fine. We have been planning the dog for years now, since my old dog died.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. I hate to be a party pooper but, a new pup and new chicks is going to end up badly. Dogs/ cats usually look at chicks as something to play with till it dies, or as something to eat = same result dead chicks. A puppy especially is wild and full of energy and wants to squeak chicks - not a good scenario. It might be better to wait a bit for the pup, till you have all the chicks in a very secure coop and run - that will prevent dog and bird from meeting.

10. Doublechick

Doublechick New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Thanks for your advice. I have been researching the web and books and speaking to experienced people. I am not going to just throw them altogether. I do not want what sometimes happens AND may happen to me one pet eats another pet. I do believe that dogs can and have been trained to herd and get along with other animals. I think it is possible and I also look at the pound for older dogs that say on their card among questions like gets along with kids "gets along with chickens". That be said I don't think that I would feel comfortable letting the hens out of the coop to range and NOT supervise said dog or puppy.
    Interesting idea--not sure if I will try, the Animal Science teacher at my kids 9th-High School class said that he put the chickens on the puppy's head to imprint .... something like they are bigger or dominant.... He says his dog always just keeps his distance.

I don't think that we will be the type of people that will decide and come up with a puppy or older dog right away. Perhaps they will be pullets or hens before the dog arrives. I have at least 2 neighbors who have been successful. At the same time, I have a lot of anxieties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by