1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie alert... Need Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jkiller40, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jkiller40

jkiller40 New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Can you tell me what bread and if they are roos or hens? I believe they are about.... 16 weeks old. (the white ones) Wyndonettes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not wyandottes.

Can you get better pics? I can't see what the comb is, is it a floppy straight comb (which would probably mean leghorn) or a different type of comb? But they really don't look like leghorns, they look like a game type body. Where did you get them?

3. jkiller40

jkiller40 New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    I got them at a feed store in TX. One has a floppy comb over it's right eye. The other one has a straight comb but it's really small. The one with the small comb stands up really straight very often. Neither seems to have spurs on their legs, but I don't know when a Roo starts growing them or what age?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The floppy comb makes me think leghorn, but a better pic would help. At 16 weeks, the floppy-combed girl would just now be at the earliest laying age, you might see white eggs in the next few weeks. If the other bird is the same breed, she's just slower to mature. I do think they're both female, pending better pics that might prove me wrong [​IMG]

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    With white legs, I want to say maybe a leghorn mix, better pictures would help alot.

6. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Welcome to BYC!

I'd say white leghorns. I can't be too sure because the images are kinda blurry.

Do they look like this?
    [​IMG]

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Since the birds have differently colored legs, I think perhaps you have two different breeds that looked identical as chicks, so the feed store mixed them up. The one with the floppy comb is not a white Leghorn because of the black feathers near the tail. I think it's a California White instead. The one with the yellow legs looks like a white Leghorn to me. Not all white Leghorn combs will flop over the eye. Of course, she could also be a Cali White that just didn't get any black spots.

8. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Haha, I'd hate to have a bunch of phone calls of people saying I sold some chicks off as the wrong breed!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Haven't you read all the posts every spring from people getting chicks home from the feed store, deciding they are growing strangely, and posting them here? There was one poor guy that bought 50 white Cornish X broilers, and couldn't get weight on them. Found out the feed store sold him 50 white Leghorn pullets! [​IMG]

10. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    That's alot of eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by