Newbie Alert, Texas!

Counting chickens

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2018
South of Waco...
I am so new to chickens, I haven't even gotten my chicks yet!
Looking forward to getting started, probably with Ameracaunas and/or easter eggers.
My concerns are the Texas weather and predators, currently perusing the threads...
I found out about BYC while I was cruising for tractor designs, as I want to keep them on fresh forage.
I have ZERO experience with chickens, and not much more with building. We have recently moved onto our acreage, so I need to get on the ball.
Reading was always my favorite hobby, but I have little time these days.
My 18 yo son is going to school in Utah, and my 4 yo and 2 yo daughters are currently wreaking havoc throughout Central Texas.

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here CC!

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

Hey @TexasSam , another one from your neck of the woods!

I am so new to chickens, I haven't even gotten my chicks yet!
Looking forward to getting started, probably with Ameracaunas and/or easter eggers.
My concerns are the Texas weather and predators, currently perusing the threads...
I found out about BYC while I was cruising for tractor designs, as I want to keep them on fresh forage.
I have ZERO experience with chickens, and not much more with building. We have recently moved onto our acreage, so I need to get on the ball.
Reading was always my favorite hobby, but I have little time these days.
My 18 yo son is going to school in Utah, and my 4 yo and 2 yo daughters are currently wreaking havoc throughout Central Texas.
Hi :frow :welcome Glad you’re here with the rest of us chicken’s

Where are you located. I'm about 45 due north of Dallas.

My advice to you is as follows.

Complete then coop before the chickens are even ordered. They grow faster than you think and your wife will be more than mildly perturbed when the chickens are in her kitchen in a brooder and the coop isn't finished. Don't ask me how I know these things.

You can make chicken keeping as complicated as you want. From my experience reading the posts on the forum the more complicated it is, the more and bigger problems you will experience, particularly health problems.

The only tool I have in my first aid kit is a hatchet. To keep your flock healthy eat the ones you don't want to and save the ones you want to eat. I cull ones that develop a respiratory problems, ones that don't thrive, and the ones that are injured enough to warrant first aid are the ones that are determined to die no matter your efforts. Be aggressive in your culling practices and your flock will always be healthy.

Heat in Texas is the concern. Don't mess with them in the summer during the day. They will have heat stroke. Keep it to a minimum.

I keep some large fowl white Cornish in hoop breeding pens year round. They do not have a coop just a tarp to break the wind. They are a tight feathered bird. They made it through this cold spell with ease.

Have fun. If it isn't fun it's probably to complicated. Always apply the K.I.S.S. rule when dealing with chickens.

Where are you located. I'm about 45 due north of Dallas.

My advice to you is as follows.

Complete then coop before the chickens are even ordered. They grow faster than you think and your wife will be more than mildly perturbed when the chickens are in her kitchen in a brooder and the coop isn't finished. Don't ask me how I know these things.

You can make chicken keeping as complicated as you want. From my experience reading the posts on the forum the more complicated it is, the more and bigger problems you will experience, particularly health problems.

The only tool I have in my first aid kit is a hatchet. To keep your flock healthy eat the ones you don't want to and save the ones you want to eat. I cull ones that develop a respiratory problems, ones that don't thrive, and the ones that are injured enough to warrant first aid are the ones that are determined to die no matter your efforts. Be aggressive in your culling practices and your flock will always be healthy.

Heat in Texas is the concern. Don't mess with them in the summer during the day. They will have heat stroke. Keep it to a minimum.

I keep some large fowl white Cornish in hoop breeding pens year round. They do not have a coop just a tarp to break the wind. They are a tight feathered bird. They made it through this cold spell with ease.

Have fun. If it isn't fun it's probably to complicated. Always apply the K.I.S.S. rule when dealing with chickens.

Just south of Waco, north of Temple....Troy, America!

Back
Top Bottom