1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie alert!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mintheweaver, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Mintheweaver

Mintheweaver New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Yeah, I am new to all this, I will be first to admit to my ignorance in many areas. I am not yet a chicken owner, but am hoping to be soon, I have already garnered my husband's approval and the acceptance of my neighbors on either side of us. We have a huge backyard which is currently being turned into raised garden beds and will be leaving the back end of the yard free for chicken coop/run. The entire yard is surrounded by 6 foot block walls. I also am a vermicomposter and so have worms to feed with, along with kitchen and garden scraps. I am primarily looking forward to egg production for my family

We live in Mesa, AZ and I have already looked up city regulations, etc. I would love advice from other Arizonans on chicken care, especially in the summer months. What breeds are best for a novice. I am planning on only a few birds, maybe just a couple to start.

Anyway, I will be checking out all the great information here, and learning as much as I can in the next few months, and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Mindy

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Mintheweaver

Mintheweaver New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks!

4. NCGrammie

NCGrammie What's Cluckin'?!

Mar 14, 2012
    Pinnacle, NC
    :welcome Welcome, it's so nice to meet you! I'm from NC myself and this year started raising chickens and well...:jumpy chicken math took over and the addiction began! :lau I hope you enjoy it as much as I do here...I have met many wonderful friends and learned SOOOO much from many of the pros. Jump right on in, you will feel right at home in no time! :caf

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello, Welcome to BYC and ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mindy, and [​IMG]! Sounds like you are off to a great start! BYC is a very helpful place for the beginner and seasoned chicken keeper alike! Best of luck to you!

8. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. You will never buy eggs at the store again once your girls start laying [​IMG] This is a great forum!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

10. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by