1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie and have questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensinMT, May 28, 2007.

1. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    Hi I am copletely new to this forum. Anyway I have a question about when to put baby chicks in with adults. the adults have their own pens and so do the babies. The babies are about 8 weeks old. Just wondering when you guys put your adults and babies to gather.[​IMG]

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Moved to Raising Baby Chicks

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Wait until everyone is full-grown. There is still going to be peck-order fighting, but the babies will be on even ground. It helps if they are in close proximity to each other for a while before so they can hear and see each other.

4. chickensinMT

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    Thanks for the info! But what do you classify as full grown? just curious becouse I know people who have different ideas about when they are full grown.

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Introduce them when they are about the same size as the adult chickens.

6. chickensinMT

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    thanks for the info

7. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Here's what I did.........I had one chick (she might have been one week old already) to start --
    then 2 weeks later I had 26 more (all day old babies).....I tried my best to put them together and the big one kept overpowering them and hurting the little ones. They have been separated since. I feel bad since she is all alone so I gave her a mirror and a stuffed duck [​IMG] The little ones are too scared to go outside anyways, so I let her out alone in the run for the day, she loves it. It will be no time at all and they will all be the same size, the babies are catching up quick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by