Newbie and silkie eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pharmchickrnmom, Feb 8, 2011.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    So I won 4 silkie hatching eggs and should be getting them on friday or saturday. I bought a used little giant incubator and and egg turner and have everything plugged in and running. It is a forced air and my temp seems to be holding around 100 with the humidity between 40 and 50 percent. Is this a good percentage for humidity? I have been reading all the threads and there seems to be a difference of opinion. I really want this to be a successful first hatching experience. How long should I let them sit before placing them in the incubator? My bator has been running for two days now and I will leave it running until they hatch. What is the ideal humidity for lockdown? Thanks!

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I hatch in a LG. Your temp and humidity are really good. Let the eggs sit 12-24 hours prior to putting them in the bator to let them rest and come up to room temp. I just hatched (yesterday) some silkie/showgirl eggs and I noticed that during lockdown I had to up the humidity to over 70%. My first chick to hatch, I had to assist him hatching because he was getting stuck to the membrane even though the bator had not been opened. At that point my humidity was around 60%. So I upped it even more and none of the other chicks had any issues hatching. Good luck with your hatch. It's a lot of fun.

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:Im getting a dozen + silkie eggs tomorrow, and setting them Friday, you asked the same questions Im having, with the same bator [​IMG] thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by