Newbie and start of New Coop**PICS**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lostdog, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Lostdog

Lostdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    So my DH & I started our coop.Here's our progress so far.I am quite happy with it.It has not cost us a penny yet since my hubby is a real pack rat and he has collected all this and more over the years.We will have to invest in some screws & hinges,but I believe that will be the extent of add'l costs.I never liked his packrat behavior before this Now I think it's paying off.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The round window will be installed on the north end of the coop and the opening in the roof will hold a "skylight" using the corrugated roofing panels.
    How are we doing so far?? Any ideas os suggestions?
    Thanks

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    It looks great so far! Keep us posted and we want to see more pics! Welcome to BYC!

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I like that wire mesh paneling you have, it looks like useful stuff.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    very cool...love the wire paneling!

5. Lostdog

Jun 26, 2008
    Quote:The fencing is security fencing.It is super heavy.I can not move the stuff.My DH climbed the side to attach some of the wood and it did not budge or bow so I think it will do well for keeping predators out.--Mayb even the bears---lets hope anyway.:|

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Wow looks wonderful and the fact that you have all the material is GREAT!!!

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

It looks fantastic so far! Keep us posted on progress [​IMG]

8. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Um.......bears? Oh my!

9. Lostdog

Jun 26, 2008
    Quote:Um yeah,I agree, I was not aware of how close they would be when I agreed to move to NY.

Lil story:

I was washing my van in the driveway with my 2 young daughters.I was outside the van washing away and my girls were pretending to be driving.My littlest one was in the passangers seat muttering what I thought she was saying was " a bee a bee a bee".So I say if theres a bee in the van hop out here with me....before I even finish my sentence I look to where she is pointing-------->>>>to a big ole bear looking at her like shes crazy.[​IMG] I jumped in the van so fast I practically jumped on my kids.[​IMG] He was about 10-15 ft away from us.[​IMG]

Well he walked across my deck into my yard and was looking at us like "what are they doing???' He then turned and walked up the fence line towards the woods and disappeared.

By luck I had taken my cordless phone outside with me and called my DH to see how soon he would be home and we waited in the van til he came home !/2 hr later---I know I'm a big chicken--but I had my babieswith me. Anyway the bear didnt wander too far he went to the next house down and sat down with the neighbors trash can and proceeded to pig out.[​IMG]

Ok I have to admit, I am an avid animal lover and bears at the zoo are very cute and cuddly. [​IMG] This bear was BIG and I was not seeing cute or cuddly(although he was) I was SCARED.[​IMG]

10. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] Looks great!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by