Newbie and venturing into the Peafowl world. Raising a imprinted Peafowl chick from hatchling.

Adama20

Chirping
5 Years
Hello Everyone , I am new here, I have been spending the past week reading through all the wealth off information on here. A little about myself , My names Adam , I live in the middle of the country in England uk and live next door to my family on there couple of acres. I have kept and raised geese, ducks, parrots, chickens, turkeys, Rheas and many soft bills birds and rescued and hand reared a wealth of local wildlife and allowed them back into the wild. Regarding Peafowl other then what I have read about on here I have no experience with them other then admiring them immensely at bird parks and gardens.

I hope I can share my experiences here and discuss these wonderful birds with you and ask if I can occasionally well often he he ask for advice if needed
big_smile.png

I currently have two mixed white / Indian blue peafowl eggs in my incubator. It is a Rcom king suro incubator with automatic turning and humidity control. I have set the temperature to 37.5 c and the humidity at 50% . The eggs are turned via the incubator cradle and I am opening the incubator for a few minutes each morning and night just to maximize a fresh flow of incoming air.

My plan Is too move one of the eggs under a broody hen I have and have her raise one of the peachicks with a few or her own chicks I have timed to hatch the same day and then imprint and raise the one peachick myself to kind of be a house peacock or peahen. Secretly I am hoping for a peacock rather then a hen but just want them both to hatch and be healthy baby's.

I am not new to imprinting hatchlings as have done so with chickens , ducks and geese to great success but I suppose the most similar would be my turkey hen I hatched and raised who turned out to be the most adorable bird. She would go out into the fields and come back when called and snuggle next to me on the sofa and sleep on her blanket on my bed, she even started laying me my breakfast ha ha
tongue.png

So far the eggs are only four days into incubation. I bought them off eBay and both arrived well packaged and with air sacks intact. I allowed them to rest the day and warm up to room temperature and set them Friday the 15th may on the evening so I am calling today there fourth proper day of incubation and looking forward to candling them properly on Saturday. I did try last night but couldn't see much , there was a slight hint of something going on but not enough to be 100% certain.

Anyway hope I haven't ranted on, I do tend to ha ha and look forward to contributing when I can and learning what I can here. If anyone has any information advice or hints tips then please feel free to share.

warm regards

Adam

Hi Adam, welcome to BYC!

Peafowl are gorgeous birds! I don't have any myself but I do love seeing them. Our neighbors have one that likes to sit on their roof and sometimes in one of our trees.

I hope your hatch goes well and that you'll share photos when they 'arrive'.

Good luck to you!

Thank you NorthFLChick, thank you for the welcome and I most certainly will take pictures for here. Thank you again.

regards

Adam

Welcome aboard Adam. Glad to have you join us and we welcome your questions and contributions anytime. You are in my opinion a brave soul wanting a house pet Peacock, but you are not the only one. There are some members on here that have them in the house, for me, the poo is just too big.
lol.png
I have an imprinted male that is 2 yrs. old now, he is a Spalding named Chirpie and is still a very nice boy.

Sometimes the imprinted males will get aggressive toward people when they mature, they grow up thinking Peas and humans are the same thing, so eventually they see you as either a potential mate or a potential rival. This is the risk with imprinted males, I think imprinted hens are usually fine. I did not intend to imprint mine, but have found that the Spaldings seem to imprint much quicker than the blue varieties, at least mine do. Please keep us updated on the progress of your eggs.
welcome-byc.gif

Hello Dylansmom , thank you very much for your warm welcome and advice. I am learning a lot here and have seen a few members posts on house peafowl which is great to see. Yeah I totally understand once maturity kicks in this could all literally blow up in my face and I could be attacked so am mindful of that. I have a lot of hope though and will try to make sure my baby is well socialized with my family too.

I certainly will indeed, hoping to know much more this weekend when I can properly candle them
cool.png

Adorable picture by the way, could I ask what is a Spalding ? is it a blue or green peafowl hybrid ?

Hello Dylansmom , thank you very much for your warm welcome and advice. I am learning a lot here and have seen a few members posts on house peafowl which is great to see. Yeah I totally understand once maturity kicks in this could all literally blow up in my face and I could be attacked so am mindful of that. I have a lot of hope though and will try to make sure my baby is well socialized with my family too.

I certainly will indeed, hoping to know much more this weekend when I can properly candle them
cool.png

Adorable picture by the way, could I ask what is a Spalding ? is it a blue or green peafowl hybrid ?

Hi Adam, pleased to meet you! The Spalding is a hybrid between the blue and green. Chirpie is 50/50 blue/green. Looking forward to your pics.
highfive.gif

Pleased to meet you too! Ah ok , I see. My eggs are from Indian blue peacocks / white so perhaps no green exists. There were of eBay so I cannot be sure. I have read and came across threads on the greens a lot , they do appear to be the live wires in the peafowl world
big_smile.png

Thank you, hopefully all will be well this weekend and ill get some pics of my bator and two eggs. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the candling. I have come to find reading here Peafowl eggs are harder to hatch and incubate. I hope it doesn't hinder that my incubator is brand new and only used once to finish off and hatch a load of bantam eggs , but it did the job and all hatched which was good.

Welcome to BYC!
This is my Indian Blue peacock Colbolt.

This is Sage, my Indian Blue peahen.

This is my other Indian Blue peacock Genie. He's free range

You will love peafowl. When peafowl are imprinted to you and with that bond you can do things with them that are not very common such as show them. I have three tame peafowl and three feral peafowl. My two adults are starting to let me pet them.
This is Ice my White peacock.

This is Thora my Spalding split to White peahen. I showed at the County Fair through FFA!

This is Marshmallow my Indian Blue Black Shoulder peahen

Last edited:
Hello Birdrain, thank you for the welcome , wow your peafowl are adorable, I love the train (correct term?) on your peacocks , absolutely gorgeous. I didn't know you could show peafowl, wow something to look into. Thank you
yesss.gif

Train is the correct term. Since there's no show standard for peafowl and me being the first at that fair I got to show how I wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom