Newbie, are these roosters?

teamchix

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 5, 2013
Hey there everyone. I have never raised chickens but when I was younger we had some laying hens so I know the basics once they are older. I thought my kids would enjoy the experience of chicks so we have been raising these ladies since they were teeny. We have 3 Americana (?spelling) and 3 Buff Orpington and one of each concerns me that they may be roosters. One of our Americana has always been less friendly, more outgoing, and bigger than the other two. Recently it has started crowing and it is a pretty good crow , but I have read on here where some hens will crow too so I just don't know about that one. Also, one of our buffs has become significantly bigger than our other two and is much less affectionate than them as well. Not to mention that she (?) has developed a comb and waddle way earlier than my other ladies. I guess I am wondering if I will have to wait until everyone is laying before I know for sure? 1st picture you can see the difference between the one I am wondering about compared to the other two buffs that are in front and behind it. Second from bottom picture is of my other two buffs just on their own, you can see how they don't have the bright red comb and no waddle at all yet even though I got them all at the same time and they were all the same age.

Greetings from Kansas, teamchix, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! I am the world's worst gender guesser on chickens so I'd advise you post in the link below. You might also want to go for a little more of a close up photo. Good luck to you!

Just wanted to let you all know that out of my six chicks that I got four of them have ended up being roosters. Now I get to butcher four roosters here soon because they have started to beat up on my hens which I only have four of and those numbers basically guarantee that my girls get pretty harassed on a daily basis. I have had to start putting the roosters into dog crates at night so that they leave the hens alone to roost when they want to. I got two additional hens after I was positive that I had so many roosters and they are not meshing into th egroup very well yet, hopefully it gets better after the rooster leave.

Get rid of the roosters sooner rather than later. Roosters gang breeding hens frequently lacerate their sides which are vulnerable to fly strike.

If you have the room, one rooster with your flock is a good thing. A good rooster seems to keep peace in the coop. Also when you decide you want more chickens you can just hatch them out and not have to buy more. One thing about roosters, if you make pets out of them when they are babies they will usually attack you when they start to reach sexual maturity. That is because they have no fear of you. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom