newbie at hatching questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sky68ou1, Nov 11, 2009.

1. sky68ou1

sky68ou1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    i have recently put 2 roos in with my girls. about 2 weeks ago to be exact. how long does it typically take to get fertile eggs once adding the roo? i know big daddy is doing his job but cant tell if hes finishing the job if you know what i mean and im sure you do. i have set some eggs but its been about 4 days now and no veining in any of them. its not looking as tho they are fertile. what do you say?[​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

2 or 3 Days...... Sounds like something else is wrong?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd give the eggs more time and check them again for veining. Unless you have white eggs or are used to candling eggs the veining at only 4 days can be hard to see.

You should start getting fertile eggs a couple of days after adding the rooster.

4. sky68ou1

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    Quote:i thought fertility in them would happen within a few days. at least i was on the right track. im still learning the whole candling thing. these are silkie eggs im trying to get some fertile of. so yea they are off white in color. id hate to lose so many eggs that could be eaten. oh well ill leave them a few more days i guess.

5. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    How old are your roosters? I've heard that when they get old, their fertility decreases. And I think that's what is happening to one of mine.

6. sky68ou1

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    Quote:i just recently bought both of them. one is matured the other is still kinda young yet and just learning his place in the scheme of things.

on a lighter note 5 of the 10 silkie eggs i have set in my bator are confirmed fertile boogers![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] the others have been gathered over the last few days so i will know in a few more days if they are. i can actually see the little itty bitty veins in them now! im so excited. i have the projected hatch date wrote down so that i can count down the days!

*does a happy dance*

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by