Newbie at raising chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Grannys Peeps, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Grannys Peeps

Grannys Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Hello, my name is Virginia Williams and I live in Arlington, Texas. This is my first time at 69 years old to raise chickens. I have 4 new babies about a week old now and love them so much. Grin... My boxer thinks they are his babies. [​IMG] I am so glad to find this site and know I will have lots of questions soon.

Happy Chickens are a must.

Virginia

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas. Virginia, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard - not just to BYC but to raising chickens!! It is truly a rewarding hobby! A great place to learn the ropes is the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It is packed with informative articles covering the entire spectrum of chicken raising. You'll be most interested in the Raising Baby Chicks section initially, but you'll want to read ahead to the other sections as well - the housing, feeding, and maintenance of your flock. It is must read material. Additionally, if you'd like to get in touch with other Lone Star chicken folks, you can locate the TX thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Thank you for joining BYC and we wish you the very best!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Virginia

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your new babies :clap Raising chicks sure is lots of fun and so very rewarding when you see them all grown up. It's something I enjoy very much and can't wait to get incubating again next spring!
    Your boxer sounds very much like my dog, he too thinks they are all his. As soon as he hears the cheeping from the incubator he is there waiting LOL!

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicks. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi Virginia, it's very nice to meet you. Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do. Boxers are great dogs!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello, Virginia and a warm welcome to BYC. It sounds like you are already hooked on chickens, so you've most certainly come to the right place.

Best wishes
    CT

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

Oops! :oops:. Thanks, Cuz.

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am very happy you joined us! Congrats on starting your chicken keeping adventures! If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask, or just hop over to the Learning Center! Have a great time on BYC and best wishes! [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Virginia congrats on your new little flock! I hope you continue to enjoy them for many years to come.

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by