1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie at Raising Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katiehumes, Feb 19, 2014.

1. katiehumes

katiehumes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Arizona
    Hello all I'm excited to be joining BYC. I'm a stay at home mom of two soon to be three so the logical thing to do was add more creatures for me to take care of right? Haha. Anyway for Valentine's Day my husband got me an incubator and am supper excited to use it. I went ahead and ordered eggs and I know have read and re-read everything on shipped eggs so I'm nervous that they won't hatch! Any way I'm going to take every precaution I've read about and hopefully some will hatch I'm hoping at least two or three because I kind of want to start small. Well thats all I have for now. Oh has anyone tried efowl.com? Thats where my eggs are coming from. . . in theory it seemed like a good site.

2. dandylion1

dandylion1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    :welcome
    I've never gotten anything from efowl but Im sure someone can tell you about them. And what a good valentines day present! I wish I could get an incubator! Your idea of starting small is good but when making a coop remember to think about chicken math. Once you have a few chickens you just need a few more. ;) hope youre adventure goes well and they hatch!:D

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC from West TN ! No help with the Efowl. Good Luck with them.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. katiehumes

katiehumes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Arizona
    Thank you everybody!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    2 people like this.
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sumi has included some very good links to follow on hatching eggs. Make sure to allow your eggs to sit, large end up in a cool spot of your house for 12-24 hours before setting them, allowing all the air bubbles to dissipate and the eggs come to room temp. Have the incubator all warmed up 24 hours before you set your eggs. Get the temp up to 99.5. Humidity about 45%. Set your eggs. Don't worry if the temp and humidity crash. It will return to normal soon. Keep a close eye on the temp and humidity all the way thru the cycle. On day 18, stop turning the eggs. Remove the turners or cover them/floor with some nonskid material. That rubber shelf stuff with the tiny holes in it makes excellent flooring. The reason you need to do this is to keep the babies legs from going splay. If they slip on a slick surface, then they can't stand and this is an issue you just want to avoid. [​IMG] Their leg muscles are very weak. So put something down. OPEN ALL VENTS. Very important to get oxygen in the incubator as they really need air now. Up your humidity to about 65% to 70%. If you have to, use damp sponges to get it up. When they start to "pip", do not open the lid of the incubator. Pipping is when they poke a tiny hole in the shell to breath. Don't panic when they sit there for 24+ hours. They are busy absorbing the last of the yolk. Don't open the lid if any or pipping or zipping out of the egg. Let the babies fully dry before removing. If some have hatched and there are no others pipping or zipping, (opening the lid during these times will cause the unhatched babies to stick to the inside of the shell and die) you can get the dry ones out. Have your brooder all ready when they start to hatch.

Good luck!!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]