Newbie at this peafowl business

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by GoBrandy, Feb 10, 2017.

1. GoBrandy

GoBrandy New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    I have penned peafowl, 3 that were born in August and one adult male. I recently put the smaller birds into the larger pen where the male is so they could have more room (their original space was much smaller, but they were protected). Will he likely harm them even though they are young? He pecks at them sometimes, but I don't know if they are males or females yet.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Post a picture and we may be able to sex them for you. Right now he'll probably play the don't want to play with birds younger than me. He's just making sure they understand the pecking order. He might become more aggressive during breeding season though.

1 person likes this.
  3. GoBrandy

GoBrandy New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    OK thank you! Here are some pics - please ignore the melty mess :) [​IMG][/IMG]

4. GoBrandy

GoBrandy New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. GoBrandy

GoBrandy New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    2 Spalding Black Shoulder males, 1 Spalding White. White peafowl can be sexed based on their neck feathers.
    [​IMG] White hen.
    [​IMG] White Peacock

7. GoBrandy

GoBrandy New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    Thank you! Likely two boys and I'll check the neck closer on the white one. I might just have all males! At least they won't fight.

8. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Yep, 2ea bs roosters indeed, by comparing the white to the boys, I see a bird that has longer legs with feet as big if not bigger. Im leaning boy, can you get pics of the neck and tail area? If it is a hen, she will be a beast,[​IMG].

Gerald Barker

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by