Newbie: Barred Rocks???

Rayolamp

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 17, 2011
106918_100_1223.jpg

First time chicken owner! Got these little guys?/gals? Last weekend, was told they are Barred Rocks and 6 weeks old, now 7 if correct?
Thing is two of them are smaller and darker than the other two, plus the smaller ones seem to still be developing there feathers (molting?). Could I have 2 different breeds? The seller was less than informative. So I'm kind of guessing on everything.
Shure have been having a good time with them, very friendly chicks and fun to watch!

The two darker ones are males. So you have 2 pullets & 2 roos. Definitely barred rocks! Their feet will turn more yellow as they get older....

But, I'm no expert....see what the next person says.......

I think the two darker are pullets, barred rock roos are lighter than the hens. Barred roosters also have wider "bars" than the hens.

You definitely have 2 roos and 2 pullets

Actually with barred rocks your lighter colored ones are the males!! But those are not even light enough to be males. There legs are yellow with a black wash down the front from the begining so I'm not sure on the darker 2 cause their legs are pink. They could be marans!! Try to get some better pics close up!!

106918_100_1227.jpg

This is Gerty, follows me around like crazy and not camera shy! Other bird is almost identical.

106918_100_1226.jpg

These are the littler ones and now that I've looked at them closer there feet and legs do have a brownish tint to them! They are camera shy!

They all seem cheery and healthy. Gerty (pictured above) seems to be the dominant bird, pushes everyone out of the way at the feeder.

Those are all boys and the reason the guy wasnt being informative is cause he knew they were black sex link boys. I got caught by that before I knew better too. Bought 6 was suppose to be barred rocks 2 actually were 1 girl 1 boy the rest were BSL boys.

Guess it'll be hard getting them to lay eggs
sad.png

I'll give it some time to be sure what I have. They have been great therapy for me if nothing else.
Seems chickens out here in Colo are expensive, hard to find sexed chicks and when you do find chickens the sellers are leary to give details or verify anything.
Thanks to all who responded!

Maybe you can buy or make an incubator and buy some eggs from a reputable breeder and hatch out whatever your heart desires. I would just run a craigslist ad and search your area, use the term "Pullets" and look for some 4-6 months old and you will be able to tell who is male or female.

Rayolamp, we are in southern Colorado and the best places to get birds are from hatcheries or feed stores. Our local feed store (Big R) only gets in three kinds of chicks, straight run, roos and pullets. I have been wary of buying from the pullet bin for fear that they have gotten mixed up, but last year when they got cochins in I went for it, and they were all sexed correctly. (I only knew they were cochins because I know the breed pretty well. Otherwise it is a gamble on what breeds you get. They are hatchery leftovers.)

I prefer to buy them from hatcheries, Welp is the cheapest and we have always been super pleased with them. The problem is that pesky 25-chick minimum. Maybe if you don't want that many you could go in with someone else on an order? Anyway, as far as breeders or actions go, I have found that most of the time you will only find roosters.

Back
Top Bottom