newbie broody questions help needed asap

crazychicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
NC
I am going out of town for a week and my mother does not want anyone to go into the coop because my roo does not like strangers. so i have some questions

1.) if i do not have someone gather eggs will it encourage broodiness if the eggs stay out

2.) the temperature at the beginning of the week is supposed to be warm except for the last two days i am gone if they go broody and sits on them will they be ok in the colder days?

3.) will a broody be fine with the flock before i get back ?

4.) will she have to be separated when i get back ?

5.) how many eggs do you think that a br or black star 1 year old can sit on ?

thanks in advance but i would like to know soon i leave tonight at like 2:00 am in the morning.

CrazyChicken

Last edited:
i know that it is a hormonal cycle but i have had them go broody before and since the eggs were going to be uncollected anyway i figured maybe they would sit.

1.) if i do not have someone gather eggs will it encourage broodiness if the eggs stay out? no but it would encourage breakage and egg eating

2.) the temperature at the beginning of the week is supposed to be warm except for the last two days i am gone if they go broody and sits on them will they be ok in the colder days? the chance of one going broody while your gone is not very good.

3.) will a broody be fine with the flock before i get back ? yes

4.) will she have to be separated when i get back ? yes

5.) how many eggs do you think that a br or black star 1 year old can sit on ? 12 to 14 and i dont think you have to worry just get someone to get the eggs

no i have a dog carrier but i don't want to leave him inside that for a week with out being let out.

Quote:
Why would separating the rooster be a solution ?
hu.gif

How many hens do you have ?? Are they each laying an egg a day ??

Last edited:
Quote:
Why would separating the rooster be a solution ?
hu.gif

The way I read the first post it sounded like all the questions were based on the fact that an agressive roo was the reason the eggs wouldn't be collected. Thus my suggestion to house the roo separately so that someone could collect the eggs.
db

Last edited:
Why separate the roo? He isn't going to attack the broody... She's still apart of his flock regardless of her broodiness and so will the peeps once they hatch.

I think you are overthinking all of this
tongue.png
I've left eggs in the nest for ....too long
hmm.png
and never had a chicken eat an egg, it didn't cause broodiness etc.

...think of them as being in the fridge the whole time you're gone
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom