Newbie by accident, help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trademarkchick, Mar 16, 2016.

1. trademarkchick

trademarkchick New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Yesterday, my fiance found two random chickens at his place of work. He works on a 300+ acre ranch in Southern California so he believes they were dropped off or escaped from somewhere. They are friendly and were easily caught. We actually have a coop that was built years ago but never used. From my google search, they look like black silkies? One is smaller and a larger one that is definitely a rooster haha (very vocal) but super friendly. I have no idea how old they are or if they have been cared for properly. Are there certain vaccines needed and how often? Will the hen lay eggs? They seem very attached to each other. I'm trying to make them comfortable....should I be doing anything else???

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How nice of you to take these chickens in! The learning centre has a great section on getting started which I'm sure you will find very helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens It has articles on all the things you need to know to keep your new birds happy, safe and healthy.

Wishing you the very best of luck. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] I also highly recommend the Learning Center. Good luck to you!

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new "accidental" chickens.

Thanks for joining us!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think it was meant to be - if you posted a photo we could tell if they are really silkies or not. Silkie females tend to go broody often - which means they want to sit on their eggs and hatch out the chicks. Since she has a rooster with her, that may likely happen. Silkies are not the best layers but they are docile and very popular especially with kids.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - good luck with your unplanned chicken keeping adventure.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by