Newbie chick momma. Possible cockerels?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JusteenF, Mar 20, 2017.

1. JusteenF

JusteenF Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    North Carolina
    We recently got 6 chicks that we were told were females. However I have a feeling one or two of them are not. The two in question of possibly being a male, I'll attach an image. One is a 3 week old Rhode Island Red and the other is a 3 week old silver lace Wyandotte. Any help is appreciated. [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. JusteenF

JusteenF Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

3. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Hard to tell, sexing chicks is a tough job but the wings can be a sign. unfortunately They would have to be younger than that to sex them easier. But sometimes the male chicks grow long feathers that pile on top of eachother then later on they grow rows but with females the just grow rows of feathers until the have a full wing.

4. JusteenF

JusteenF Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    North Carolina
    Ok. I've also read that they tend to grow faster. The silver Wyandotte has always been larger than the other silver (and the rest of the flock). She stand a lot taller as well. Not sure if that helps any. Here's a few more photos of this would help. [​IMG]

5. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    The fact that they grow faster is not really something you can rely on, it could have just been a bigger chick from the egg in general but I have a rooster smaller then my hen currently in my brooder because my hen came from a bigger egg and was just overall bigger to start out

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by