Newbie chick owner baffled by egg laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Groo, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    Hi, all. I have 22 week old bantams. Two weeks ago one Easter egger laid her first eggs, 5 over 10 days. Then all of a sudden she stopped. No egg now for an entire week. She sits in the nest boxes for hours but...nothing. Tonight I noticed a little white discharge at her vent. She is otherwise fine, eating, running, etc. Is she okay? None of the others are laying yet.

I'm new at this so any advice or help you can give me would be appreciated.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

IF my calculations are right - then it has been about 4-days since this pullet has laid an egg and she is young and just starting-- Right?

Most likely it is part of the normal growing process. Keep an eye on her. You may want to consider giving her a chicken bath in some warm water.... Seems when I have had concerns with something malfunctioning in the egg-laying system it has helped to give the pullet or hen a warm soak.... (think of it as a spa treatment). Bath time could give you a chance to examine that discharge that you saw to see if it was poo or egg - HTH

Hopefully you will get some other experienced BYC experts to weigh in -- and maybe by now she is back to normal. Repost if she isn't - or if you see anything really unusual.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    When they start laying eggs it is common for them to take a break.

If you live up North and are not supplementing with extra light, She may not lay again until the days get longer.

My EEs stop laying in the winter.

4. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    Thank you, Both. I do live up North, in Maine. I'll keep watching her and let you know how we make out. I appreciate your responses. She is the only one of her flock-mates to have laid even one egg.
    Groo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by