Newbie Chick Owner

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NM Renee, May 17, 2009.

1. NM Renee

NM Renee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Placitas, NM
    Hello!

The coop/run is finally done and I went looking for pullets today. One place I called said they had a whole bunch of different kinds so I drove down there.

When I got to the feed store they all looked quite young despite being labeled as pullets. When I asked, the guy said they were two weeks old. I asked if they had been sexed and they said they "thought so". They did say I could bring back any roosters and get another one.

Question #1: What age chick qualifies as a pullet?

We live near Albuquerque, NM. The day time temps are in the mid-80's and the night time temps are in the low-to-mid 50's. The one wall of the roost box does get the western evening sun as the sun goes down. So it will radiate some heat for a while.

Question #2: Can I leave these guys out in their coop as long as I close them up in their roosting area to keep them warm in there overnight? Will just the three of them be able keep each other warm?

Question #3: When I close them up in the roost box at night, should I include their water and/or food since they are so young? We will let them out ASAP in the am, usually around 6am when the sun is rising.

Thanks everyone!
    Renee

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    [​IMG] Renee,

A pullet is from hatch of day one to laying then they are called a hen.

You will need a light and temps in the 90's still. Since you only have three bring them in the house and put in a smaller ares to keep it warm. Keep them draft free also. They must have food and ter all the time as chicks.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They need 95 degree heat in the beginning then around 80 or so when they are around 4-5 weeks. They should not go outside until they are fully feathered - no more tufts of down on them anywhere. Right now they need food and water 24/7 as they sleep on and off around the clock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by