1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie chick questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SOchick, Oct 12, 2009.

1. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    OK, so I have chickens, but have never done chicks, so I have some questions. I ordered 12 chicks from Ideal, so they are due to ship Wednesday (yay!)

I have an old shipping crate I plan on making my brooder, it is 20in x 51 in (about just under 2 ft by just over 4 ft) will this be enough room for them?

Should I put linelonium on the bottom to make it easier to clean (yes, it would be covered in shavings or pellets)?

I am a little concerned because they will be coming in in the middle of my work week ( I work 12 hour days thurs-sat) so I am concerned that I won't get to check on the very much when they first get here. My boss is letting me off to go get them and set them up, but then I have to go back to work. So I won't be able to adjust temp or make sure they are drinking until I get home. Am I just being silly or overprotective? (I do plan on setting everything up tomorrow so I can try to adjust everything to have it right by the time they come)

Also, When can I transfer them to live outside? I live in west GA, so temps don't start getting too bad until Jan, sometimes a few in Dec, but otherwise pretty mild for winter.

And one more- I think they are gonna put some "packing peanuts" in, I have a friend who will take them when they are old enough to eat, but about how long will that be?

And yes, I will post lots of pics when they come in!

Thanks!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Yes, that should be enough.

Should I put linelonium on the bottom to make it easier to clean (yes, it would be covered in shavings or pellets)?

I guess so. It might be a good idea.

I am a little concerned because they will be coming in in the middle of my work week ( I work 12 hour days thurs-sat) so I am concerned that I won't get to check on the very much when they first get here. My boss is letting me off to go get them and set them up, but then I have to go back to work. So I won't be able to adjust temp or make sure they are drinking until I get home. Am I just being silly or overprotective? (I do plan on setting everything up tomorrow so I can try to adjust everything to have it right by the time they come)

You aren't being silly. It would be better to watch them all day. They should be okay though.

Also, When can I transfer them to live outside? I live in west GA, so temps don't start getting too bad until Jan, sometimes a few in Dec, but otherwise pretty mild for winter.

Once they look like fat feathery pigeons and your house starts stinking!

And one more- I think they are gonna put some "packing peanuts" in, I have a friend who will take them when they are old enough to eat, but about how long will that be?

Whenever they are sort of meaty. There isn't really a good answer for that question!

And yes, I will post lots of pics when they come in!

Good! I can't wait to see them! Have fun raising your new chickies!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by