Newbie Chick Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrewCityMama, Feb 25, 2012.

1. BrewCityMama

BrewCityMama New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    We just received our first chicks three days ago (Wednesday). They are so stinkin' cute and adorable, and seem wonderfully healthy and happy. They are five Golden Comet females. My question is when should I expect to see them beginning to feather out? All five of them have feathers started on their wings already ~ is this about the right time? They are less then a week old! How long until they are completely feathered out? And (final question), when they are fully feathered will they be ready to go outdoors in the coop?

Thank you so much! We are so very new to this but enjoying it very much!

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG] .
    I don't remember exactly how long it takes to get all of their feathers, but I usually do put my chicks out in their own coop when they are fully feathered.

3. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    [​IMG] They should be fully feathered by the fifth week but it depends on the breed. When they are fully feathered they can go in the coop but make sure the temperature won't be to cold!!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. BrewCityMama

BrewCityMama New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    Thank you for the welcome!!

And the answer ~ you guys are quick!!

5. BrewCityMama

BrewCityMama New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    Thank you! How cold is too cold, generally speaking? We are in central KY, but as is true with everyone else we have been having a very wacky winter. It is usually full blown spring by mid-March. I don't want to put them out too early, is there anywhere that can give me some temperature guidelines? Thank you!

6. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Well it depends what temperature it is in the brooder when they are fully feathered cause you don't want it wildly below that temp. What one person suggests (in a book that I read) : Once the chicks are fully feathered harden them off kinda like tomato plants-- bring them outside for a bit every day. And see how they react( If they don't look happy then bring them in sooner but if they look happy keep them out longer.) Do that for a few days and once your sure they are happy they can go in their coop full time.
    Have fun with your chicks[​IMG],
    Zoƫ

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  7. BrewCityMama

BrewCityMama New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    Very helpful!! Thank you!

8. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    Congratulations on your new chickie babies! [​IMG]

We're in Western KY, and put ours out at around 6wks last year. We acclimated them by making a chicken playpen in the yard, and letting them play for a while every day, eventually working up to several hours a day. So by the time they were fully feathered and the brooder lamp was no longer needed, they were ready for their new life in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by