Newbie Chicken Keeper

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by taylorstchick, Mar 30, 2016.

1. taylorstchick

taylorstchick New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    Hello all,

I work at an urban farm in California where one of my duties is to be the caretaker to 13 chickens. I started off being afraid to pick them up but now, I'm more confident. I feel like I've got the very basics down and I'm eager to gain more knowledge. I especially want to learn how to keep my chickens healthy--how to prevent illnesses and diseased.

I've been a lurker for a while. I've been looking for ideas for DIY feeders. I found one and now I just have to build it.

I appreciate that this website exists because it's my goto resource for anything chicken related :)

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run. So glad you decided to make it official. :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard. I'm glad that BYC has been useful to you in the past and i hope that now you are member you will enjoy and learn even more.

all the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock [​IMG]

5. yellowblack

yellowblack Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2016
    Welcome to backyard chickens! Tell us more about your farm! I am from california too! I hope I can come visit maybe if u sell hen chicks!?! Hmm

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  6. taylorstchick

taylorstchick New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :D

Yellowback, we're located in the Bay Area and we're a one-acre farm that grows seasonal veggies which we sell to local restaurants and to the public. We also sell eggs! But no chicks. We don't have any other animals on the farm. We're a young non profit but we're growing so who knows what the future holds for the farm.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your flock and garden!

You might like to check out the BYC sister site on gardening:
    http://www.theeasygarden.com/

Thanks for joining us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by