Newbie Chicken Lady

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mjh2032, Jun 9, 2016.

1. mjh2032

mjh2032 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hello! I joined BackYard Chickens and have enjoyed reading wonderful stories from all of you more experienced people. I thought I should introduce myself instead of just lurking.

I have six beautiful Rhode Island Reds who are four months old now. I got them from a local Tractor Supply Company during Chick Days. I was not able to chose the breed I got but Rhode Island Reds was what I wanted and I am happy to say that is the breed they all are. I read this breed is heat and cold tolerant. I am in the South East so it doesn't usually get too cold but the summers can get hot and humid.

I am looking forward to learning more about keeping chickens from you all.

Maria

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join BYC! Lots of us were lurkers before we joined. LOL

RIR's are tolerant to heat and cold. So as long as you offer them up plenty of shade and cool water, they should do just fine. You can add fans to your coop and runs. I turn my turbo fan on when ever the temps get into the 80's. Feed some cool treats too like watermelon or grapes during the hottest part of the day. They should do just fine.

I am so glad you are enjoying your birds! Make yourself at home here and if you do have any questions about your birds, feel free to ask.

Stay cool this summer and welcome to our flock! :)

3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Hi, and :welcome

Rhode Island Reds are a great breed. :)

4. MNChickenChick

MNChickenChick New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!! I am a newbie as well!! I searched this site numerous times before and during our chicken journey. My husband and I have 12 laying hens of an assorted variety of breeds. It's getting to the point where I can't tell what some of my chickens are! I guess I will have to do some searching and asking on here to get the answers. [​IMG] We just added 6 ducks to our homestead as well and just moved them outside into the "real world"! [​IMG] The original plan was to keep the chickens and ducks housed together in the coop we just built, but after seeing how messy and sink the ducks are, we are going to keep them separate!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us. Two Crows have given you some great advice. More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Maria, hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I had some RIR and loved them! Good choice of breed.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. mjh2032

Feb 9, 2016
    Thank you for the suggestion to join my state thread. I will look and see if NC is represented.

Maria

10. mjh2032

Feb 9, 2016
    Two Crows,

My flock has shady areas as well as sunny so I think they will be fine. I will remember your comment about fans and if I need to I can turn one on for them. I know they like watermelon but I haven't offered them grapes yet.

Thanks!

Maria

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by