Newbie chicken lover

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KeikoStefy, Nov 21, 2013.

1. KeikoStefy

KeikoStefy New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Hello BYC my name is Stefany, I'm in Virginia Beach, VA and got into having chickens about 7 months ago. I got my chicks last spring and it has been a wonderful and sometimes stressful learning experience. I'm looking forward to exploring this website in depth and learning even more new things. I have 5 hens one is a white leghorn she's looking a little rough she doesn't lay but she is sweet. The other hens and roosters with the exception of the male white leghorn attack her the male was getting attacked as well so they are together separated from the others I guess the others are racist lol. My 4 other hens are (2) Rhode Island Reds and (2) (yikes i don't remember) they are laying at least 3 are cause I find 3 eggs every morning. I'm hoping for next spring to get some Americaunas (don't think I spelt that right) and others. Suggestions are welcome! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you say you hen doesn't lay and she is looking rough? Has she ever laid eggs? Is there a chance she could be "egg bound?" As the days shorten hens generally ease up on laying eggs or may even stop.

What do you mean by "looking rough?" I'm asking because if she is alone with the rooster, she may be getting overbred. Rooster spurs tear up the back to the point where the hen may be bare in areas and even bleeding. Some people make and sell "chicken aprons," on Byc that helps the area heal and re-grow feathers and also protects somewhat from the Rooster abuse.

Is she eating and drinking well, active like the other chickens? Or does she just stay in the coop most of the day? You could post photos of her as well as info. as detailed as you can recall and post on "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread.

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. You don't give numbers, but I am guessing that you may have too many roosters.

8. KeikoStefy

KeikoStefy New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    I have 3 roosters, the white leghorn and two RIRs.

9. KeikoStefy

KeikoStefy New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    She's never laid eggs, the other hens and roosters picked on her and the male pulling on their feathers and pecking them, we figured it's cause they are white, which lead us to separate them. The male thats with her doesn't attack or try to mount her they just waddle around together doing chicken stuff and when my fiancé and I go out into the yard they come running to us and the dogs, following us around the yard. We've named them Henry and Henrietta.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by