Newbie* Chicken not laying / layed yoke no egg?

DossFunnyFarm

Songster
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
Have 5 Road Island reds,epts mostly, use to have all of them laying an egg a day, but for a month only 2 lay
sad.png
, this morning found one nesting but when she got up and walked out for food she droped a yoke,(just the yellow part) no egg shell to it.
hmm.png
Anyone know whats wrong with my girls??
thanks
smile.png

They need layer feed. craked corn is only to help them warm up in the cold. Please pick up layer feed ASAP. Layer feed and oyster shells. that will provide the calcium to make the shell for the egg

Last edited by a moderator:
They run all over our 3 aces, eat bugs, lizards,..ect.
we were feeding them Chicken Scrach with a beand of wild bird seed ( the vet told us) but they would eat it, so we gave them the Craked Corn.

Ok, Thanks
big_smile.png
We have a little feed store a few miles downfrom us, they are open all the time I see what they have, start feeding them better.
my chicks and I again Thank You all for writing us right away.

Yep, you need layer feed to ensure the birds are getting the right nutrition to be healthy enough to produce eggs with a lot of nutrients in it. The oyster shell is so they can build up the shells high in calcium. Put the layer feed in a feeder and have that available all day long. Put the oyster shell in a dish on the side and they will eat it when they know they need it. Cracked corn is probably why they are not laying because it is too low in protein and does not have all the nutrients needed to build a strong body that can produce complete eggs.

Also, if it just "squirted" out a yolk, make sure your hen stays active, else she could have broken a soft shell egg inside.

Back
Top Bottom