Newbie Chicken Owner with a new Chook making rattle sounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by posshaven, Feb 17, 2013.

1. posshaven

posshaven Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Very, very new to this - actually first time I have posted ANYWHERE!

I am a first time chicken owner. I have had my girls for 18 weeks and just purchased more as 2 of the 6 originals turned out to be boys! One of the new girls purchased 2 days ago (from a reputable breeder) a Rhode Island Red is rattling when she breathes. She was fine when she arrived at our house and I think she may have breathed in some water, not being used to the container ur water is kept in.. Today her rattle is worse, but I'm sure she is still eating and drinking and looks fine. The other two girls are great. Any suggestions please.

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Are they on the same kind of bedding as they were at their last place? Any discharge from her nostrils? Are you quarantining the new ones? Have you looked at her beak to see if there is a physical blockage? I know a lot of folks say that chickens don't get colds, but I've had some ladies with sniffles that haven't required antibiotics- I use a product called VetRX, if you're interested. best of luck!

3. posshaven

Jan 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the reply, I'm quite worried. No they are not on the same bedding. They were on wood shavings and at our house they are on leaf litter and straw. She shook her head yesterday and droplets flew so I'm assuming her nose is running. When you say have I looked at her beak, do you mean actually picked her up and forced her beak open??? Have not done that as I don't want to stress her anymore (not your friendly sort of gal yet). She is drinking and eating and showing interest in things. I thought she had breathed in water, but my mum (who was there when I unloaded them from the cardboard box )said she was sniffling as soon as she stepped out. What is the VetRX and where can I get it?

4. posshaven

Jan 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Also.....(yes I'm very wordy) I did check her throat tonight. Could not see anything and swabbed her throat and came our with a little mucus. (no gapeworms which i think could be an issue). Her and another of the newbies stretch their necks to the skys and open their beaks wide.

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    How is your girl today? Anyone else showing signs? There are so many "chronic" respiratory bugs that a flock can have that only flare under stress conditions, I'm wondering if that's what's going on in your flock- especially since more than one have to do the "big mouth breathing" from time to time.

6. posshaven

Jan 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    She is still rattling, but in herself eating, drinking better and showing a lot of interest in whats going on around her - scratching on the ground and grooming herself. So I'm assuming that the worst of it is over. Of course since my last post, none of them have done the neck stretch thing (that I've seen). Hopefully it was/is stress. The other 2 in with her are in great condition and the other 4 in another pen removed from this lot are beautiful......now if only they would give me some eggs!!! They are after all only 19 wks so I guess they have a bit of time.

What is the VetRX, is it an antibiotic and where do you get it. I don't need it now but it might be handy to have it on hand.

Thank you again for your interest/concern, sometimes it enough to know you are not in it alone. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by