Newbie chicken owner with new chicks ( pics )

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EE R' Us, Apr 9, 2009.

1. EE R' Us

EE R' Us Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I've been reading here for a while and trying to learn everything I needed to know to be a new 'chick mama'. [​IMG]

We've been waiting for the chicks we decided on to come in to our feed store and happily my daughters and I brought home our 4 Easter Eggers last night .. ( one for each of us ) .. so I can finally participate here. My DH opted out on his own chick, he thinks we've lost it a bit .. but is willing to be to be on the chicken support back up team. [​IMG]I'm sure I'll have a million and one questions to ask before long.

So far they are doing great though and such cute little fluff balls. [​IMG]

Attached are a few pic :

[​IMG]

This little girl has a red beak, she's my youngest daughter's :

[​IMG]

My oldest daughter's and mine :

[​IMG]

My middle daughter's chick. The darkest and very fluffy .
    [​IMG]

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

awwwwwwwwwww so adorable! Thank you for sharing and welcome to the insanity! Did anyone forewarn you that this becomes an addiction and DH is only thinking your nuts, soon, oh yes, soon, he will know your certifiably crazy when you pass him the plans to build an incubator! Waahaaa haaa haaaa!!!!
    Again, big welcome from Maine! [​IMG]

3. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    They are very sweet. My hubby wasn't on board much at first either but he came around and loves our little ones just as much as the rest of us. [​IMG]

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    welcome aboard to the crazyness! it is really easy to get hooked! you'll want more soon, and after that even more! and they are SO ADORABLE! too cute [​IMG] good job on the paper towels, it helps them walk without slipping and it's absorbent.i swear my boyfriend loves our chicks more than I do! he names them and offers to take care of them and holds them all the time. he really isn't they type you'd expect to react as such. i remember when i ordered eggs he was so confused. he hadn't a clue what i was going to do with them. after i explained it to him he looked at me in shock! he said "I've never seen a bird hatch before. wow." now he's hooked! [​IMG] i've had chickens and helped my mom with the incubator since i can remember! they really are great pets, and i mean PETS! YOUR BABIES ARE SO CUTE! CONGRATS! you, your hubby and your children will make great chicken mommies [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    very, very cute!! We are getting our 1st chicks the first week in May-I can't wait!! Good luck with you little ones!

P.S. my dh was not very happy about our chicken decision...at first. Now he is outside every night working to get the coop done...he's just a big softie!
    [​IMG]

6. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    Hi and welcome yes it is an addiction my DH told me this morning...this has gone too far..his says now i am dreaming about chicks!!! hee hee!!! we are all nuts....enjoy!

7. EE R' Us

EE R' Us Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks so much for the warm welcomes! [​IMG]

Oh, my husband will be fully on board soon. He was holding them and talking to them last night. [​IMG] He's as much of a 'sucker' as the rest of us. [​IMG] I've been talking about getting a small flock for eggs ( and as pets ) for a while now, I think he was just surprised that I went through with it. *LOL* He helped me with the brooder. I've planned out my coop and he's all on board to build it.

The girls are on Spring break, so this was a great time to get the chicks, they'll have lots of time to spend with them. We named the them this morning.

My oldest DD's is Marigold, she's the blondest and most talkative of the bunch .. just like my oldest daughter. *LOL*

My middle daughter named her's Olive .. she's the darkest colored and the most mellow .. again that matches that middle daughter.

My yougest named her's Clover and she's the bossy one, into everyone's business and that matches her owner's personality to a *T* [​IMG]

I named my chick Hazel ... she's the runt and loves to be held already. If you put her up close to your chest she'll cuddel right in and listen to your heart beat.

8. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    Welcome!!![​IMG] I have been a chicken mom now for about 3 weeks. We also have 4 EE chicks that are almost 7 weeks old. I absolutely love this site and you will too. Everyone here is wonderful at answering any questions you may have. And you will soon find out that you get addicted to this site very quick. [​IMG]

I also had thrown around the idea of getting chicks to my husband a few times and I don't think he really thought I would go through with it either. But when I came home with them he immediately got started on the coop. I had pictures and all of WHAT I wanted. But he got a little carried away and now I've got what I call the Chicken Condo. Little does he know, since he made it so much bigger than I anticipated, I've got room to house a few more. [​IMG]

9. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Those chicks are adorable!

10. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Welcome from one new chick mama to another. Your chicks are very cute.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by