Newbie chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CBell7312000, Mar 23, 2018.

1. CBell7312000

CBell7312000 In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2018
    hello! Making my introduction here.

We have a relatively new flock, they are now a year old. I’ve been reading on this forum since before we got our first eggs last year as I literally knew nothing about chickens. We had some good hatches last year and some really bad ones. We also ended up with a LOT of roosters, then we lost some of our few precious hens from free ranging this past year.

We currently have 2 lemon cuckoo Orpingtons and 2 gold laced Orpingtons. We are going down to just one color in the fall leaving the lemon cuckoo ones. We just don’t have the time to build several large coops and runs for the different colors right now. Our end goal is to be self sustaining and selling some of the chicks to help cover cost of feed. We will most likely not sell the eggs because I’m not sure it’s worth it in our area and we do actually use quite a large number of eggs since we are a big family. We’d love to add a dairy cow and some goats at some point once our pasture fencing is redone and we add more barns to the property. We haven’t been able to slaughter any of our chickens yet and ended up giving away our excess roosters.

We also have 2 pot belly pigs, a pony, 5 dogs, and 4 cats. Oh and ten children lol. We do animal rescue and that’s how we ended up with most of our pets, pigs included. Our children range in age from 2 year old twins up to my oldest son who is 14. My husband is retired and I stay at home but will hopefully be going back to school when the twins go to preschool to finish my teaching degree. Our kids all love our animals and luckily do most of the feeding themselves and several of them helped my husband build our coop and housing for our other animals. My kids are very involved in school and most play instruments so we are busy with band and other after school classes almost every day of the week. I also like to sew along with one of my daughters and we are learning to knit. My husband writes in his spare time and just recently had his first thriller published.

Other than our size, we are a pretty normal family lol

Teila, drumstick diva, lclark and 4 others like this.
  2. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Nice intro! Sorry to hear about the loss of some of your flock. I guess that is one of the risks of giving them a lovely free-range life. I hope you enjoy BYC!

3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA

What a wonderful into sorry for the losses but Welcome to Backyard Chickens I would agree you have your hands full

lclark, ronott1 and 007Sean like this.
  4. CBell7312000

CBell7312000 In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2018
    Every loss has been difficult, especially for my older daughter who slept in the room with our chicks when they hatched. She witnessed every chick being born so she’s very invested in all of them. This is partly why we couldn’t bring ourselves to slaughter any of the roosters. I know it needs to be done because we certainly didn’t need 12 roosters but we just haven’t managed it yet lol

5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

lclark, Joeschooks and ronott1 like this.
  6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcome from Getaclue.gif

Your place sounds like this! Math Genius for sure!

advanced chicken math.jpg

7. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I’m the same. I do a lot of hatches but can’t bring myself to eat the roos! I generally manage to rehome them eventually.

8. Eelantha

Eelantha Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Quebec (Qc)
    Likewise here, the two times my hens went broody I preferred to re-home the baby roos as no one in my family had the heart to butcher them for food. We're more egg eaters than meat eaters anyway, so it's better the roos found a nice place to live in since we're restricted to only 1 mature roo on our property - otherwise we would have kept them all in a make-shift bachelor pen x3

9. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    :welcome
    Welcome! Your farm sounds like a wonderful place to be!
    Enjoy your time on BYC!

drumstick diva and ronott1 like this.
  10. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: