1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Team Fluffy Puffy, May 8, 2011.

1. Team Fluffy Puffy

Team Fluffy Puffy Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Hale Center
    What does it mean when a chicken keeps it's mouth open all the time?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

Perhaps the chicken is too hot, has gapeworm or something else wrong with the trachea, or has an issue with its jaw.

Can you be more descriptive, any other symptoms? Perhaps a clear, non-blurry picture?

3. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I think it means it is hot. I'm not an expert by any means. But [​IMG] to BYC

4. Team Fluffy Puffy

May 8, 2011
    Hale Center
    I bet it was because it was hot because it was 95 here today. haha I thought it might be because they are thirsty but we put the water right in front of them and they wouldnt drink.

Thanks for the welcoming. lol

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Yes, chickens pant when they're hot.

~Aspen

6. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Then it's going to be one long summer here. One of mine (sometimes 2) seems to do that a lot. It's already been in the 90's and their coop/run is in the shade. Even in the sunniest part of the afternoon (around 3-5) they still have some shade. I have 2 araucana's and 1 barred rock.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine usually adapt to the high temperatures in summer. Our worst hot weather is temps and humidity in the upper 90s. We have lots of shade. They'll usually learn to take it easy when it's hot. What I notice is that if they run for some reason when it's hot, they'll start panting. They get over it, though. They just can't help themselves when they see me and think they might get a treat. [​IMG]

I'd be concerned if they start panting all the time, even when resting in the shade for long periods of time. Maybe try giving them a shallow pan of water to wade in. It might take them a little time to learn to use it or you could place them in it and see how they like it. Put some ice in their water or in a bowl of water, for them to drink. I have extra water bowls in a couple of spots out on the property, to make sure it's easy for them to get a drink in warm weather. Some people have fans for their chickens. There are some nice threads on dealing with the heat, if you do a search. I'd search in the management section for heat related topics.

Shade is important for them during the day. I also have my coop opened up in summer, to provide a lot of extra air flow and prevent the heat from building up inside. It also cools off faster in the evening that way, so they can get relief from the heat then. Coops without enough summer ventilation can be much hotter than the outside air. I think it's really hard on them if the days are hot and then they get locked up in a hot coop with poor ventilation, that doesn't cool off until morning. Then their bodies are enduring heat stress almost constantly.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Chickens pant when they are too hot.

I have several cheap, shallow cat litter pans (about six inches tall) that I fill with clean, cool water when it goes above 85 degrees or so -- or any time I see my chooks panting.

They will drink out of the pans, of course, but they will also climb into the pans of water when they get really hot and cool off by wading in the shallow water.

If a bird seems like she is particularly struggling with the heat, my wife or I will pick that bird up and gently put them in one of the pans of water. Then we'll gently pour water on their backs to help cool them off.

After doing that once or twice, the chicken will learn that the pans of water offer a cool relief, and will take it upon themselves to go into the pans to cool off without our intervention.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. Team Fluffy Puffy

May 8, 2011
    Hale Center
    thats cool i think ill try that

10. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    yes, ours pant when it gets hot. also try some 'cool' treats for them - yogurt, watermelon, strawberries (or some other berry) that is chilled. I also fill the waterers several times during the hottest days with cool water...even if it sits in the shade all day, it warms up.

oh yes, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by