Newbie Chickens in the City

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by GollumsBrother, Jul 23, 2013.

1. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Chirping

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    Well it's day 2 of having chickens.
    It was raining hard this morning and I wasn't sure if I should let them out or keep them in. After a quick read up on BYC I decided to let them make their own choice and open up the coop door.
    4 of my 5 birds seem to like the rain. The 5th decided to stay in!

So... My dog is now realising that the hens are not toys and that she will never be able to get into the fenced off area.

I gave my hens some bread and they haven't touched it! They're only 15 weeks old and ive only had them 2 days, I dont think they've seen bread before!

I'm still waiting patiently for an egg! I've put a golf ball in the nest box so I'll just wait and see. Guess it will be a week or 2 yet!

I think Mr Fox paid a visit last night, all is well though and Cluckingham Palace was impregnable.

My garden is quite big, even though I'm in the city, so I get a lot of garden waste. Can I just put it on the floor of the pen for them to root around in?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes! They'll love it! welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

3. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Chirping

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    Thanks gryeys. All done

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. kaybats

kaybats Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Lovely girls!

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Lovely flock!

My girls just turned 15wks today [​IMG] They will probably love your garden extras :) Don't be surprised if they don't attack their treats though, when I give my girls something new they will just stare at it but as long as I leave it with them they normal eat it all up later on. There have been a few things that they will not touch but you learn as you go :)

6. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Chirping

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    So...... It seems the command 'Stay' doesn't work when the run gate is open and there are chickens to play with! My dog met all 5 of my birds today, however I think it scared her more than them! LoL

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    [​IMG]Glad it didn't turn ugly! My dogs would not have been so nice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: