1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie chicMom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicmom1, Jul 26, 2016.

1. chicmom1

chicmom1 New Egg

Jul 26, 2016
    Hey y'all! We don't even have chickens yet but hope to get started next spring. I am in the process of learning all I can before subjecting babies to my inexperience . I live in west Texas where we are very hot and dry in the summer and cold {dips below 32 some days} in our winter. Basically we have summer 9 months out of the year. I had been looking at Plymouth Rock Bar and Rhode Island Reds with maybe a Jersey Black thrown in. I would like to have good egg girls that will eventually end up in the freezer or jars. The problem if they are more than frowned on here so they need to be quietish and no roosters. Am I asking too much ? :D I already have an aviary that was for my cockatiels {gone now} . Once they're grown how long can they be left alone with plenty of food and water provided ? Just a thought and thank you for your input!
    Hugs,
    ChicMom
    aka Holly

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ChicMom, and welcome to BYC. I like your plan...get the knowledge before taking the plunge. And BYC is the place to learn. Visit the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    This wil give you a great foundation. Best of luck to you!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Holly and welcome to BYC. Unfortunately all hen's make a bit of noise when they are laying, so if they are not allowed where you live, things might get a bit sticky. Have a plan B ready so that you can wave goodbye to them, at a moments notice.

I guess, in theory, chickens can be left alone for the duration that they have food, water and protection from predators, but I would personally feel very uncomfortable leaving my flock without someone to keep an eye on them.

Good luck
    Ct

4. chicmom1

chicmom1 New Egg

Jul 26, 2016
    Thanks, and Thank you for the link!
    ChicMom

5. chicmom1

chicmom1 New Egg

Jul 26, 2016
    yes I already have a backup plan and hopefully preditors won't be an issue as the run is enclosed top and bottom , even underground. The time I was looking at is about 3 days duration with a friend looking in on them every night and picking up eggs. So we'll see if I have the nerve to actually go through with it. My cockatiels made more noise than chickens would..minus a rooster of course. Thank you for your advice,
    ChicMom

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Holly, welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by