1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie. Comply with Town??

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by chicchick, Feb 9, 2009.

1. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    I just got the regulations from the town where I want to have a small flock (9). I have to notify abutters (5) by certified mail and appear at a Board of Health meeting and supply all sorts of paper work and a fee (annual). Should I be a good citizen or just do it without the permit? Our lots here are ~2 acres and I would comply with their rules anyway. Hmm.. I've always been a good girl, but just not sure if I'll get in big trouble.... I also don't want to give chicken owners a bad name.

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    What's the repercussion of not getting the permit and are you willing to pay them (getting rid of chickens, $1k's in fines. etc.) or just a slap on the wrist and you have to apply? I'd check with the neighbors to be safe because they are going to be the ones to report you if anyone does - especially if you are hosting a rooster.

3. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    No plans for a rooster. I've talked to one neighbor who loves the idea. Knowing the others, I think they'll be fine too. How do you find out without tipping your hand to the Town?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by