Newbie concerned about red, bloody poop (photos)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ikemiker, Jul 5, 2016.

1. ikemiker

ikemiker Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Someone (more than one someone?) in my flock is having red, bloody poops. At first it looked like a solid red poop that was similar in color/texture to red velvet cake. But now it looks much more like a wet bloody poop. My chicks are 4 weeks old.

I'm confused about a few things. First, my chicks (from Murray McMurray) were all vaccinated for coccidiosis, which seems like the most likely culprit from what I see online. Second, I cannot identify anyone in the flock who appears sick. This has been going on for about 5-6 days, and everyone is active, eating, drinking, etc. This morning, one gal was off to herself and didn't come out when I opened the brooder (the rest all rush to the screen door and look outside and have fun pecking the wood floor). However, I picked her up, and she is clear-eyed, not too hot, and her vent is perfectly clean. She's a very light colored chick, so I would assume that there'd be at least a trace of red on her feathers if she was the one. She is not gaping or cranking her head back. I don't see anyone else with any traces either though, so whoever it is is hiding it well.

Any thoughts or advice? This is my first flock, and I've read everything I can, but I still feel like I'm so clueless!!

[​IMG]

Here's the photo of the only girl who was off to herself this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a complete side note- I had ordered 15 "Easter Eggers", and two of the chicks were very light; this one, and another one that is almost perfectly white. Is this a normal color variation for EE's? Or did we get two ringers? We don't care, we love them all, and it's nice to have two that we can easily tell apart. Just curious.

:)

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I too used to think that Cocci vaccine would take care of the problem, but after a some good advice and a tad of reading/research, it seems that sometimes the vaccine may not "take", it may not have been administer in the proper dosage, it can cause other problems, they can still get various cocci infections and on and on...

Bottom line is if they were mine I would treat for Cocci.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.

Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-offer-a-vaccine-against-Coccidiosis-H18.aspx
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...-for-natural-and-organic-poultry/47/vaccines/
    http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Chicken_coccidiosis_vaccine/

3. ikemiker

ikemiker Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Thank you for the advice! Since I can't figure out who the sickie is, is it ok to treat the water for the whole flock?

?Jen?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Yes, it's okay to treat the whole flock.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    resubscribing

6. ikemiker

ikemiker Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Thank you everyone! By the time I got back from the store, it was clear that the one pictured really wasn't feeling well, standing in a corner by herself, fluffed up, neck hunched in. I mixed up the Corrid in the water, and went out and dipped her beak a few times throughout the evening. This morning, she's running around, scratching and eating just like everyone else! What a relief! Will continue to treat x 5 days.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is improving!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Happy for you!

-Kathy

9. ikemiker

ikemiker Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    All the ladies are doing EXCELLENT after 5 days of treatment. I really, really can't say thank you enough.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    So glad they are doing well!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by