Newbie ... Considering Chickens

Happy Cat Kim

Hatching
Mar 31, 2016
Hello!

I am a newbie here and considering chickens. I live on a centennial farm next door to my brother who is an apple man and down the street from my nephew who is a forage guy. We used to have dairy cows and feeder pigs. The animals (except the barn cats who are forever dropped off) have been gone for two decades. I'd love to see some creatures here again, and I thought I'd start small.

I know I'll need to either convert a building (if the guys will give one up from storage) or build, but right now, just learning all there is to know. I'd love for just a few at first and to have a variety of chickens.

This looks like a friendly group. I'm looking forward to learning much to make a decision. Thank you in advance!

Kim

Hi Kim and
welcome-byc.gif
- great to have you onboard with us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
CT

Nice to meet you Kim, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. You may also want to check out the coops section for ideas, there are all sizes and configurations - lots of folks use re-purposed materials to good effect.

welcome-byc.gif

Chickens are great...where else can you find a pet that feeds you? x2 on the Learning Center and your state thread. Both of those will help you get off on the right foot.

It's nice to have you here!

Hello Neighbor!
I live in Centennial and have 5 sweet 10 week olds that I am hoping are all pullets. They are my first chicks and I am loving raising them in the city!

Did you decide to get chickens yet?

Back
Top Bottom