newbie coop build

ladyride

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
East Tn
we are newbies to raising chickens however we had been around them in our much younger years. Well the house had to build the house first. We thought about getting a coop from tsc until we found out they wanted 528.00 for a 3 hen tractor my purse was screaming NO. Many thanks to all on here for the ideas
smile.png
all in all we have about 450.00 in the coop & chickens.We repourposed many materials, as you can tell from the doggie door. The ladies have a 8x8 coop with a 30 x 10 run . we got 10 bo, 10 light brahmas 3 lavender orphs 1 blue orph apparently 1 white leghorn pullet who was supposed to be a bo roo:gig
89573_sany0026.jpg
89573_sany0025.jpg
, not as elaborate as some but functional I think . Again THANKS to all

Last edited:
The coop is nice but your run needs some work. I would get rid of the chicken wire and put something more sturdy up. I would also put some bird netting on top. I love the real people door.

Looks great! Nice job recycling!

Two suggestions:
1.) Put some waterproof material over where the nest box meets the wall. You will probably have leakage when it rains.

2.) Take off that 6" piece over the door, just under the roof and cover with hardware cloth for ventilation.

Welcome and enjoy your chicks!

Quote:
we put silicone caulk around nest box ,in & out we have had 3 bad storms no leakage there. we had the cloth over eaves as you had suggested 1st storm water everywhere glad chicks were still in brooder. after 2nd storm no leakage .this is why we put in people windows for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom