Newbie coop: prepare for winter and summer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rowechicks, Apr 27, 2017.

1. rowechicks

rowechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2017
    Hello! My DH and I are building our first coop and I'm wondering whether we need to insulate at all. We are close to the Bighorn mountains in Wyoming and temps can range from 105 in July (summer usually lasts 3 months) to week long bursts of - 15 in the winter (we get snow at any moment from September to June). Do we insulate or should good walls keep the birds warmth around them in the winter? I don't want to roast them in the summer.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You don't want a sealed up coop in the winter. Chickens need a dry, well ventilated coop, year round.

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

Ditto

Our temps usually only get down in the teens and single digits, but we leave the south window cracked, the vent near the ceiling is open year around and the pop door is open all day during the winter.

4. rowechicks

Apr 26, 2017
    I plan on having vents run along the underside of the roof (one slant, not peaked) on three sides. I'm still trying to decide on the door, which has an affect on where any other windows are. I'm only allowed 10 hens and no roosters where we live, so i need to know about insulating it.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you have adequate ventilation, there will be no benefits to having insulation. Insulation is to hold in warmth. If you've got enough ventilation, that warm air will be exiting the coop. It's not worth the added expense.

6. rowechicks

Apr 26, 2017
    Thank you!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

Insulation in walls can also provide very good homes for pests...rodents and insects.

In a hot climate insulation of roof can help slow solar gain inside coop....tho deep shade and good air flow is better.

1 person likes this.
  8. cholland

cholland Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2017
    California
    Search for Woods open air poultry house. Or just Woods Poultry House. There are a couple of threads on here. It's a great design for ventilation and cold temps. With good ventilation for summer too. It can be scaled up or down for different sizes. My next coop will be of this design for sure.

9. rowechicks

Apr 26, 2017
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by