Newbie - Day 10

Helyro

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Hello,

I am new here, and have put eight of my own fertilized eggs in my incubator (HovaBator #1593 -anyone else have this one?). They are either RIR, or a Buff Orpington/RIR cross. I did this as a "trial-run" to get a feel for the process, etc. before I spend money on more expensive eggs.

I have candled the eggs - this is not exactly easy with brown eggs! However, I candeled yesterday, and I am pretty sure that at least 6 of my eight are growing! I saw lots of stuff in there - not much detail, but a definate spot and some veins in 6 of them. I MAY have seen movement - is this possible on day 10?

Needless to say, I am getting kind of excited! I did this thinking that NONE of them would develop, and I would end up doing this at least 10 times before I got it right. I like the incubator - the temp stays consistant. I have no idea what the humidity is - I am keeping the water in the chamber per the instructions, so we'll see - if all goes wrong, I may end up buying a humidity-checker (lol - I can't remember the name)

The 20th is when I will take the auto-turner out, and they are "due" on the 23rd - wish me luck!

I will keep you posted!!

Welcome Heather....and good luck on the hatch! Sounds like you will have a great one. At 10 days, there should be movement. Candleing brown eggs is hard. I have BO, and RIR, and had a hard time with candeling untill about day 14. Can't waite to see the little ones!

you can keep an eye on the air sack to make sure your humidity is right. I'll see if I can find a pic or URL for you. (I use a pencil to draw a line around the air sack... and mark the day # on it for good judgment)

Here is the drawing from a good info site...
egg.gif

and the URL is:

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=62

Happy Hatching!

That is great - looks like I am right on track for the majority of them!

Thank you!

Thats very exciting! I have 14 due on the 19-20! I am so excited. Half are purebred orphintons and the others are of a mixed flock. Very excited! I really want the Orphs to hatch since my daughter who is 7yrs old, used to own a Buff Orph and that hen was her best friend! LOL!
Here are good vibes coming your way!!
Keep us all updated!
lol.png

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom