Newbie Duck breeding question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dmiravalle, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Ok, our call ducks are breeding (in the snow). Is this a normal thing? They have a house with hay, will she lay if they are breeding? Or will she wait for more spring like weather????

2. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I need those answers too. My ducks are mateing too and have been everytime I put water in thier swimming bowl. Went out this morning and found a egg in thier coop. (They are call ducks) I thought somehow a chicken got in the duck coop but that is completly imposible. Its just the egg was so small. I was told duck eggs are larger. But I guess if my ducks are smaller then so are the eggs. I don't know what I will find when I go out in the morning tomorrow. I left the first egg in the coop. Is that what i am supose to do?

3. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    I haven't found an egg yet, but it is freezing here and since we incubate the eggs, I normally would bring them in. But we got our ducks last spring so I am not sure about laying this time of year.

4. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I guess I have to invest in an incubator. But untill then I think the egg should be ok for now because the chicken and duck coop is around 10 c or 50f. I don't think they will freez. This is also thier first time. I don't want to confuse them or get them upset. If thats even possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by