Newbie duck owner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by catschicks16, Jan 27, 2017.

1. catschicks16

catschicks16 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    I have a pair of ducks that I got July 13,2016. Didn't have any feathers yet so not sure how old they are or if hatched from the same momma duck. But anyways the female has been laying eggs a couple months or so now. She lays one a day and I've been collecting for eating. How will I know if she's laying fertile eggs that I could leave in the nest to hatch out?

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    There is no sure way to tell for sure but if you see her drake breeding them than they are probably fertile you might just have to try it

3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Unless she goes broody, or you have another broody hen, they won't hatch if they're just left on the nest, even if they are fertilized.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
  5. catschicks16

May 8, 2016
    If she is broody will she only lay one egg a day or will she lay more than that?

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    ducks lay an egg a day - some might pop out 2 a day, but their system takes about 24 hours to develop and pop out an egg.
    If she's broody, she'll likely stop laying.

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Also has your Drake been breeding her lots?.......Then you will get fertile eggs..........

Cheers!

8. catschicks16

May 8, 2016
    I haven't seen them mate. I just didn't know if she was broody would she lay one a day and staying sitting on them till she lays the amount she's gonna lay. Then stay sitting on those eggs till they hatch. I've never owned ducks and I've been trying to research but kinda confused on the process of laying to hatch ducklings.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

What a Hen does is lay a bunch of eggs in a nest until she is ready to set....Then she will sit on the eggs till they hatch...Some never go broody....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by