Newbie??? Ducks and weather

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jwatts, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I live in the northeast, some winters are cold. Will my duck coop need to be insulated? Can ducks live with chickens in there coop?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are those whose experience is that ducks are plenty cold hardy, and some who are less convinced.

Some of the variables are:

breed of duck
    nighttime temperatures not only outdoors but in the shelter
    feeding program
    number of ducks
    type and depth of bedding

Did you have any particular breed of duck in mind, size of flock?

Some keep ducks and chickens together, but it doesn't always work out, sometimes because drakes can kill a chicken trying to breed with her, sometimes because ducks have a different approach to water than chickens do, and the chickens get disgusted about it.

3. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    I plan on only about 4 females. Just wondering if they can live with thechickens or if il have to build a seperate coop.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is the coop big enough to subdivide? Four pekin females would need about, give or take, 16 square feet just for coop space. I have 64 sf (32 sf house, 32 sf fenced porch) for eleven 4 to 5 pound ducks (Runners and Buffs) in spring summer and fall, slightly more than that in winter.

And advantage would be body heat in winter. Do you have feed and waterer in the coop?

5. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Im thinking i should probably build a "chicken tractor" for the ducks and put it in the chicken pen, so therefore i can segragate them. I do have the water nipples in pvc and pvc feeders in the chicken coop. Im not to sure on what to do. Thank you for the advice

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please feel free to post your questions and search topics. The Duck Forum people seem to like ducks and people, which is a blessing!

Ducks need to be able to wash at least their entire heads frequently to prevent eye, sinus and ear infections, by the way.

7. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Good to know. Thank you. What should I feed these ducks? Will regular chicken layer pellets and cracked corn do?

8. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Where in the northeast are you from?

9. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I feed my ducks a mixture of birdseed, layer pellets, and a little cat chow mixed in and give them plenty of greens to boot. I live in Alaska and my ducks (Roeuns) only have a doghouse for shelter and never use it. They will sit/sleep outside in the snow and rain all day. I put soft moss in the pen for them to rest on and they love to sift through it for bugs. I keep them locked up tight in a chainlink dog run covered top to bottom since we have many predators that love to eat duck. (Unfortunately dogs seem to be the #1 predator). Well good luck with your flock!!

10. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011

Hi petes mom. Im from Northeastern Pa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by