Newbie...dumb question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by river46201, Apr 22, 2016.

1. river46201

river46201 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Is it necessary to have a door that closes if your coop is inside a completely enclosed run?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Guess it depends on how predator proof your run is and the weather conditions where you live - a howling wind blowing into the coop (or rain) would not be good. For peace of mind, i would always close the coop door, but thats just my opinion.

CT

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. river46201

Apr 21, 2016
    The opening into the coop is on the bottom, rather than the side of the coop. (Built it 2' off the ground to make access to the eggs easier for me with bad knees & back) And we've built the run to be as predator proof as we possibly could, so...since it's free & clear of rain/wind & critters, not having one SHOULD be ok?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Maybe other members can chip in. My birds free range, so don't have a run and i think that it would be better to see what feedback others give, based on their experience.

CT

5. river46201

Apr 21, 2016
    Ken... HAD to build a "protected run", after 1 of our 2 "rescued hens" got taken out by a hawk in the middle of the day that has decided building a nest right across the alley from our house was a good idea! We gave the other rescue to a friend. Now? Now we're prepared! (But trying to figure out where/how to buy juveniles, as I have no where to keep babies...unless they would be ok in the coop?)

6. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I leave the door from my coop to my run open all the time. However, I have the whole thing surrounded by electric poultry netting to keep the 4 legged predators from getting too close. In the winter I cover the sides of the run with clear shower curtains so that the hens have a nice windless place to be outside and so wind doesn't blow in the pop door of the coop.

1 person likes this.
  7. BirdHead

BirdHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma

I live in the woods, got hawks, snakes, coyote running every where but I still leave them on the line or in a regular pen however they are of game they'll die trying to fend for themselves.

8. BirdHead

BirdHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    And the ones who die or failed to survive then they're no good, makes no sense but still

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    These links may help you in terms of integrating young birds into a flock

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1069595/introducing-chicks-to-adults#post_16276224

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1098683/introducing-new-chickens-to-old-flock#post_16895615

As for purchasing birds, i would suggesting joining your state thread (just type the name of your state in the search box) and asking their, as members close to you would be best placed to advise.

CT

10. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I don't have a door from my chickens' coop to their run. Well technically I do have a door, it is totally removable though and I haven't put it up since last summer. My run is pretty predator-proof too and I haven't had any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by