1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie dumb question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jermoatc, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    I have my first broody. I bought her some fertile eggs to hatch. They should arrive today or tomorrow. Im assuming i just stick them in the nest and let her do her thing. Anything else i should be doing that I dont know about?

2. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    I would let them sit on your counter overnight before putting them under the hen. Let them settle a bit.

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    also put them under her in the evening when it's dark, she will be more accepting in the evening

4. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I always put a little piece of tape or something on the egg so I know which ones are hatching too

I have a lot of other hens that end up sneaking eggs into the pile

5. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    I would let them sit out for 12-24 hours to settle. mark them with a pencil, and put them around her, kind of just under her feathers. Let her pull them under her and place them were she wants them. Good luck!

6. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Thanks for the input. I would have never thought to let them "settle". I appreciate the feedback. She has been broody now for 1.5 weeks. Any chance she would "break" early?

7. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I read from another byc'er that during summer you DON'T want them to settle overnight in case they started developing in this warm weather... Just food for thought....

8. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    Quote:I'm wondering if that isn't what happened with my asst. bantys. I've still got 9/14 developing good.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. Some eggs I have let settle and others I haven't. My hatch rates were pretty much equal. I would definitely mark the eggs. Good luck and have fun!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by