Newbie Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boreanaz2k, Jan 28, 2013.

1. boreanaz2k

boreanaz2k New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    Hello everyone!

Last week (on the 22nd) we got out first egg! (yay!) I was very excited and started to make sure the girls had more worms to eat and that they got some love and attention (not that they normally dont get that). On the 23rd we got 1 egg, then 2 the next day then 2 and three the day after that (holy cow!) and then 3 again! I tell you all of this because today I only got one, and another one that wasn't formed. Now I have 6 girls and they JUST started laying so I thought we got 3 because 3 girls were laying. They usually have laid all their eggs by sunset (even though we have a light in the coop) and there was still only 1 today.

So for my Newbie question... Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal? I noticed that other people post not getting as many eggs on certain days, but I figured the girls would usually lay 1 a day (unless is was REALLLLLY cold out) The temperature hasn't changed in the last week so I guess I'm just wondering if I'm crazy [​IMG]

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your responses!

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Thisis normal for pullet when the first start laying. They are just getting the knicks worked out of the systems. It maytake a little while for them to start lsying on a continous basis.

3. boreanaz2k

boreanaz2k New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    Thats what I thought I have:

a Road Island Red, a Black sex link, a speckled sussex, a golden sussex, White Sussex, and a scots grey. They are amazing so its not that I'm worried about egg production, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by