newbie emergency bator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1Chick Magnet, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    was going to set my first batch of eggs tonight. just watched the weather. it will start to snow tomorrow afternoon into monday. heavy wet snow. power outages expected. the eggs were stored in the cellar at about 50 degrees. brought them upstairs into 70 degrees before setting them. can I put them back in cellar till after storm? should I set them and hope for the best? or should they go in the fridge and I start to collect again and plan to start next weekend? I am so bummed. I have 16 eggs, 9 of them silkies.

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I think I'd go ahead a set them. If the power goes off you can always be collecting and start again this weekend.

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    hmmmm its a judgment call either way. how long have you held thelm for and how long do you expect the power might be out. if they were mine and less that 7 days old i would leave thelm out where they are and trun thelm from side to side at least once a day till the snow stopped 2 more days arent going to hurt thelm some ppl have had great luck holding up to 14 days.

4. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    the oldest ones are from the 15th. 6 are from today. will they be ok at 70 degrees?

5. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    how long could eggs stay without power and still be good? we have a generator but if power goes out in middle of night I will not wake up till I am cold.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I have a fridge bator outside an the power went out for 6 hours two weeks in to my last hatch. 15 out of 17 hatched

7. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:wow!! I was fretting all last night about do I put the eggs back in the cellar to keep them a little cooler. 6 hours relieves me a bit. what do you keep your humidity at?

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

75% at hatch time an because I'm hatching every week I've been letting it drop to 14% when nothing is hatching to make up for the high humidity.

Also, I collect my eggs for 7 days an they just sit in a bowl on the counter an I keep my house at 80 F. About 1 in 10 are clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by