Newbie Expectations

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Nov 30, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I plan on trying to hatch 10 eggs using a Brinsea Eco Mini this March.
    I'm a first timer in the hatching world... I plan on getting some BCM eggs from the best source I can - yet to be determined(exactly)
    What should I expect in regards to successful hatching (how many eggs) and what should I expect from that in terms of roo/pullet ratio(50-50 I assume).
    I am pretty detail oriented so I will be doing it by the book - closely monitoring everything, turning, etc...
    Will I be lucky if I even get 1 to hatch? I hear so many horror stories.
    Not looking for any definite answers, just general feedback and others experiences.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    It's sooo easy!!!! Just follow directions from your bator and invest in some BYC time.

Do you have the mini already? If you ask nice Santa might bring you a better one because once you start hatching, the mini won't be enough. You need an auto egg turner and forced air to make it fun, Just Sayin!!!

I only hatched once and got 75% hatch rate, I'm detailed and read all I could about hatching, checked temp and humidity constantly and made sure the bator held steady temps. I used the dry hatch method and it worked for me. http://paraguinparadise.netfirms.com/Dry Incubation.htm I also know that the bator you use, weather and shipped eggs affect your hatch rate but just go for it and read BYC if you have questions. Ask when you're not sure of anything and have fun, it's gonna be a long 21 days!!!

Why are you waiting so long to have all this fun???? Find some eggs now so they can lay you some eggs sooner.

3. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I am incubating my first clutch right now, and got the second started yesterday (in another incubator) so I am no expert, but this is what I do know...

From my understanding, shipped eggs usually have about a 50% hatch rate. Eggs that don't go through the postal routes seem to fare better.

Roo/ pullet ratio. No idea. Some hatches can be all roo or all pullet, some can be 50/50 split or variations in percentages. Have a plan in place for roos if you cannot keep them.

Learn from the experts on the hatching posts. (Again, not me, I am a newbie)

Many people have hatches with some rate of success even after having some wild things happen while they were in the Bator. (Temp swings, drops, humidity issues etc) So there are horror stories but there are also happy endings. The more you do it, the better you get at it. I am sure there are folks on this board who get on or near 100 % hatch rates every time they incubate.

So yes, they do survive and it is possible.

It is also pretty AWESOME. Somebody should let you know that sometime during the first incubation, you will be searching for eggs for the second, and then the third...its very addicting!!!

Does the Brinsea Eco mini hold 10 chicken eggs?

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Yes. But I am also considering the Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco which holds 24 - trying to plan ahead for my addiction:) It is currently on sale for $99.99 on the Brinsea site. $30 OFF.
    What can you tell me about turning? I see some incubators it talks about them being large end up and other incubators the eggs lay on their sides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by