Newbie food/water question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SCChick, May 15, 2011.

1. SCChick

SCChick New Egg

May 15, 2011
    I'm sure this is totally obvious for you chicken pro's out there...
    I've got 5 new babies, growing big in my garage brooder. When the time comes to put them out in their coop/run, should I provide food/water both in the coop and in the run? Just in the coop? How does this work? My run is 13x7, and coop is about 4x2.5.
    Thanks for the help![​IMG]

2. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    You can do it either way. I happen to keep my chickens' food and water in their coop, mainly to keep the food dry and away from the mice and rats. A lot of people keep them in the run, though. Look around at the pictures here on the forum, and you'll see good examples of both.

By the way, [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

sillybirds is right on. Some people prefer the water in the run if the chickens are messy and spill water.

Imp- Mine is in the coop

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You want food/water inside the coop in case they need some while locked in at night or early in the morning (roosters will get up before you!).

Outside is fine too - but if wild birds have access to your feed or are attracted to the run you will need to treat for worms. Its common and everyone treats for it (just add some medicine to the water).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by