newbie for sure

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JoleenJonah, Jun 18, 2011.

1. JoleenJonah

JoleenJonah New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    just joined BYC today in hopes of next year starting a small organic coop. we aren't sure if we want just layers or some fryers and broilers yet, but I am sure we will. this is such a great resource. I had no idea that this forum was out here, but I sure am glad i googled it. I have spent 2+ hours on here already looking up information.

I was wondering if anyone had any good books that would be of great help as well. any and all comments are appreciated!! Thank you all in advanced.

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] from MIssouri. There is a lot of info on this site. There is also a book called Storey's guide to chickens or something like that I've seen mentioned on here quite a few times that might be helpful.

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma! [​IMG]

4. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State [​IMG]

5. kelehe

kelehe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Welcome from Seattle. I was fortuante enought o have a friend at work who has chickens and answered a lot of my questions. However, I did a lot of internet research before we bought our chicks. As there is so much information available on-line, I decided to forego buying a book. There are so many books, they are either very specific or very general. Also, if you have a feed store or two nearby, they are very useful in providing answers as well.

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    go to the index of this site, and just start reading. it is a treasure of information. and fun.
    welcome to the forum.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. JoleenJonah

JoleenJonah New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    thanks everyone!!! I forgot to mention I am in Wisco [​IMG] The info on this site is amazingly wonderful and overwhelming all at once! I am glad I found it now, BEFORE we get our chickens...So I have time to get all the supplies I will need that i didnt even know i NEEDED!! LOL!!! back to reading the threads....

10. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    [​IMG] from NW Georgia!! Glad that you are here!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by